Self propelled gears not engaging

Jack9

Threads
Maybe a worn bushing or shaft that is allowing extra clearance between the gears? Or a slipped mounting point? Maybe flip that drive gear over and wear the other side? Looks like decent components with a poor setup.
I don't see anything that's worn but maybe I'm missing where to look. I was hoping someone here had experience with this type of setup.

Just out of curiousity move the height adjustment up and down, see if the gears mesh improves?
I've tried that.

dougand3

Threads
Look at mower8.jpg you posted. Big difference in tooth length - R side is tall, L side is short. L side is where upper gear should mate. Gotta buy and install a new gear or just have a push mower.

Jack9

Threads
I meant to reply to this earlier, but I replaced both gears awhile back and it didn't fix the problem. I'm guessing the only way to fix it would be to remove everything and heat the bracket that holds the drive gear so I can bend it towards the wheel gear a little.

BTW, the gears I received were Husqvarna parts, so I assume the mower is made by them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just took another look at the pictures you posted and can easily see that the drive gears there are seriously worn. Cause for this is mainly due to dirt acting as an abrasive wearing the softer drive gear. A few different manufacturers use this system and it is cheaper to replace the drive gears than the wheel assembly.

Jack9

Threads
Just took another look at the pictures you posted and can easily see that the drive gears there are seriously worn. Cause for this is mainly due to dirt acting as an abrasive wearing the softer drive gear. A few different manufacturers use this system and it is cheaper to replace the drive gears than the wheel assembly.
Please read the previous post.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I guess I must be the village idiot when you said you replaced the drive gears awhile back. I assumed you replaced those gears back in October 2019 and you now have the same problem, a worn out gear. I should have know better!!?? As the village idiot I would say bend the bracket (also known as the height adjuster with a bearing pressed in it) so the axle will not true, but tight and cause the drive gear to wobble, That should fix your problem. I’m out of this one, as my 50 years of experience has taught me If your are the village idiot, you can fix stupid.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
But sometimes being the village idiot takes off a lot of pressure.........

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I must be the village idiot when you said you replaced the drive gears awhile back. I assumed you replaced those gears back in October 2019 and you now have the same problem, a worn out gear. I should have know better!!?? As the village idiot I would say bend the bracket (also known as the height adjuster with a bearing pressed in it) so the axle will not true, but tight and cause the drive gear to wobble, That should fix your problem. I’m out of this one, as my 50 years of experience has taught me If your are the village idiot, you can fix stupid.
Simmer down Rivets. You are a solid valuable member here. This guy is not listening to anything. Thinks this bottom of everyones line cheap azz mower should last 40 years like a Snapper. Don't let a simple mower forum ruffle your feathers buddy. You are much bigger than this. (y)

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I meant to reply to this earlier, but I replaced both gears awhile back and it didn't fix the problem. I'm guessing the only way to fix it would be to remove everything and heat the bracket that holds the drive gear so I can bend it towards the wheel gear a little.

BTW, the gears I received were Husqvarna parts, so I assume the mower is made by them.
If you just replaced the gears then something else supporting is worn out also. Like the guys have already said, these machines are in a harsh environment with every mowing. Dry dusty days are hell on a mower. All the sand and grit eating away at those pot metal gears.

Do your wheels roll like normal? Can you spin a wheel like when you were a kid with your bike upside down? Is this for a normal yard or some farm pasture?

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see some serious surface rust. Something in that axle or whatever on that mower is probably rusted up nicely causing excess friction creating excess load on the gears. I'm not familiar with that mower as you can tell. Take the rear axle if it has one and or drive assembly apart. Clean and de-rust everything. Something has to be rusted together or have fallen off by now. Something is causing new gears to fail prematurely. Check your self propel parts schematic and see if everything is there.

slomo