Can't adjust toe-in

Tree_farmer2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere STX38. The front wheels aren’t parallel, the left one is going left, when the right one is pointed straight ahead.

There seems to be no way to adjust the toe-in on this mower.

I found the technical manual, but it seems to be saying that you have to order a part to adjust it. Says “If toe-in is NOT within specification, order and install adjustable tie rod service kit.”

Has anyone figured out a way to adjust toe-in on this mower?
Do you know the part number for the adjustable tie rod service kit?

Or is there an other/cheaper part I could buy?

Thank you!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome to the consequences of a free market economy.
IT costs an extra $ 50 to put adjustable tie rod ends on a ride on mower .
So to be able to convince you to buy it they are left off because all that is important to owners is getting the cheapest possible price.

Now you have 3 choices.
1) seek out an independent supplier of adjustable after market parts
2) cut off the ends of your drag links, thread them and fit an adjustable tie rod end
3) replace the rods, usually both will need replacing.

D

Deleted member 97405

Welcome to the consequences of a free market economy.
IT costs an extra $ 50 to put adjustable tie rod ends on a ride on mower .
So to be able to convince you to buy it they are left off because all that is important to owners is getting the cheapest possible price.

Now you have 3 choices.
1) seek out an independent supplier of adjustable after market parts
2) cut off the ends of your drag links, thread them and fit an adjustable tie rod end
3) replace the rods, usually both will need replacing.

John Deere made two versions of the STX38. They made one with a black deck and one with a yellow deck. (I personally have a yellow deck machine, but have worked on both versions alot over the years here at the dealership)
They are mostly similar, yet different.
The yellow deck tractor only came with a 5 speed transmission. The mower deck was better built than the black deck and had better bearings, etc.
The black deck tractor had the option of 5 speed or hydro transmission. The black mower deck shell was a little thinner than the yellow deck and had cheaper parts on it.
Regarding the steering, I can only find a listing for adjustable tierods for the black deck machine. The part number is AM123393.
It says you only need 1 so I am assuming this kit will do both sides. For a list price of $132, it better do both sides!

If your tractor has the yellow mower deck, I dont know if this kit will work or not. I can't find a listing for adjustable tierods for the yellow deck machine.

**On these tractors, usually I find the front axle center pivot is worn or cracking, and the weight of the front deck links pulling on the axle will affect the toe-in. The axle is about $400 new though so I would definitely be looking for a good used one. Hope this info helps. Good luck!

Capture1.jpg

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look close at the steering components, especially the brackets that attach the tie rods to the front spindles. Somebody has probably plowed into something and bent a steering system component, OR made the rack and pinion gears skip a tooth.

D

Deleted member 97405

Look close at the steering components, especially the brackets that attach the tie rods to the front spindles. Somebody has probably plowed into something and bent a steering system component, OR made the rack and pinion gears skip a tooth.

This particular model only has a gear on the end of the steering shaft which rotates a one-piece sector.

See the attached picture.

The tierods are bolted to each end of the sector. Therefore they have to move at the same time.

Slipping a tooth would only position the steering wheel more clockwise or counter-clockwise when trying to go straight. Hope this helps!

Capture3.JPG

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
This particular model only has a gear on the end of the steering shaft which rotates a one-piece sector.

See the attached picture.

The tierods are bolted to each end of the sector. Therefore they have to move at the same time.

Slipping a tooth would only position the steering wheel more clockwise or counter-clockwise when trying to go straight. Hope this helps!

View attachment 45089

You're right, the skipped tooth wouldn't do anything for alignment. Don't know what I was thinking.

A friend had an Ariens lawn tractor that had a severe toe-out problem. Nothing was adjustable. We traced the toe-out to bent brackets on the spindles. Then we re-centered the steering wheel by moving the pinion gear on the rack.