Smoking on start up

Patrick0525

Threads
Kohler 7000 series KT25 with 55hrs. After sitting in the shed for one week, the engine blows a cloud of smoke despite shutting down on slow idle. Oil was changed at 5, 30 and 55hrs using Rotella T5 10w30. New oil filter at 5 and 55hrs. Bought it in July 2017. Any recommendations?
After 25hrs, the oil level dropped on the dipstick from the top fill line to the mid fill line. Is this considered normal?

I did a 25hr UOA. No crazy wear metal levels.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5172177/re-kohler-7000-series-25hrs-on-rotella-t5-10w30#Post5172177

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Could be a bad head gasket, bring the engine up to normal operating temp, shut it down, pull the dipstick and look for whisps of smoke coming out of the tube.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rotella oil is used in big 18 wheeler rigs, diesel only. Read your Kohler engine manual & i'll bet you should be using a full synthetic oil. My 2010 B&S Vanguard engine recommends full synthetic 5w-30. I prefer Pennzoil or Valvoline oil as they have been around a century or so.

Research your KOHLER engine manual. I checked yesterday with parts technician in town, he told me Rotella was used in Diesels only being 18 wheeler applications. That is reason you receive engine operators manual when you purchase new equipment, to read manual & follow directions & applications concerning fluids, OEM parts, etc. No it is not normal for engine oil level to drop on dipstick with low hrs., you asked for recommendations so I thought I'd try to help. Good luck!

Last edited:

Patrick0525

Threads
Rotella T5 CJ4 has been used by many OPE operators with success for its high level of ZDDP.

Patrick0525

Threads
Tested it and there is whisper of smoke coming from the dipstick/oil filler tube. Is that ok?

https://youtu.be/yvE5FPWIFQA

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
More than likely the head gasket. Never seen an engine without a blown head gasket smoke out the dipstick tube.
I would run what oil the owners manual says too use and if you want put a zddp additive in it.

Patrick0525

Threads
Thanks, I posted a video.

Also when I changed the air cleaner, there was oil droplets in the inner part of the air cleaner. This is not the prefilter lubricant.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Smoke on start up could just be oil seepage past the rings while setting in the shed, And I haven't seen a single KT series that didn't have oil droplets on the inside of the oil filter.

Patrick0525

Threads
The shape of the the air filter is an oval with a soft foam top cover. The oil droplets were found on the inside portion of the soft foam top cover.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The oil droplets get blown in from the breather.
As previously mentioned it is just a luck of the draw thing.
If the ring gaps are sitting on the bottom then the oil on the barrel will drain down to the bottom then slip past the rings on start up.
One of the down sides of using a multigrade oils