swapping motors

Brent Laberge

Forum Newbie
Threads
hi looking for information regarding swapping a briggs and Stratton motor out for a honda motor on my husqevarna self propelled mower. can it be done? I hit a rock with my mower last week and bent the shaft as well as broke the oil sump. was recommended to me to buy a new motor for it by our local saw and pump store. I was wondering if its possible to put a honda motor on the chassis rather than the briggs that was on it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most small engines will swap out because the mounting points are standardized
PTO shafts are also standardized but they do come as metric & imperial so be careful to measure.
USA Honda are generally imperial but imported Honda will be metric.

HurstGN

Threads
I swapped out a Tecumseh engine for a HF Predator engine on an ancient Ariens mower. Went the cheap knockoff route as I wasn't sure the mower was worth the effort and it was abused over it's 20 year life. Only had 2 obstacles, the shaft was slightly smaller on the replacement. Fixed that by inserting a sleeve to fill the gap. And the mounting holes were in different positions, but the deck had the mounting flange in the same diameter, so couple drilled holes later, and I was up and running. That mower gave me another 5 years of service before the drive mechanism went. Dumped the mower, still have the engine. :thumbsup: