Fuel Engine starts after priming, then dies in 2-3 seconds

Schef

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Engine starts after priming, then dies in 2-3 seconds
I have a Craftsman with the 3.5hp Tecumseh engine.
The last time I used it was October 2017.
I broke it out this spring and the primer bulb was rotted out, so I replaced it.
After I fixed the bulb, it sputtered to life. I let it run for a couple minutes until the smoke cleared, and then shut it off.
The next time I started it, the mower ran for 2-3 seconds and then abruptly died. Time and again that happened.
I progressed through various repairs, including replacing the fuel line, then the carburetor and all the gas in the tank (and added a stabilizer), then the gas cap and spark plug.
It started noticeably easier after I replaced the gas cap, but it still abruptly dies in 2-3 seconds.
If I depress the primer bulb after it starts, the injections of gas keep it running, but it promptly dies if I stop depressing the primer bulb.
Any suggestions?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why did you replace the carburetor and what did you replace it with?

It sounds like you replaced a defective carburetor with another defective carburetor.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Give us the model and spec numbers for the engine. Also, did you purchase an OEM carb or just one off the Internet which they say will work for your engine? What was the part number for the new carb?

Schef

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why did you replace the carburetor and what did you replace it with?

It sounds like you replaced a defective carburetor with another defective carburetor.

Thanks for the reply, CPurvis. Frankly, the first place I went for a possible fix was YouTube, where the majority of clips diagnose problems like this as one as either a problem with a plugged or faulty carb, plugged gas cap, leaky or blocked gas line, or spark plug problem. Given that a new carb from Sears was only $26 and it was a relatively easy job, as well as the fact that replacing the carb seemed like the next logical step in trying to address the problem, I opted to go that route. I also elected to replace the whole carb, given the price, instead of it part-by-part to try to diagnose the problem.

Yeah, it's possible I replaced a defective carb with another defective one, though I obtained the replacement carburetor directly from Sears (the manufacturer of Craftsman).

Incidentally, during the process I learned they no longer make the carb for my mower. I looked up the carb they said was the replacement and it is for a snow blower...but given they manufactured it, I figured they should know which part was the correct replacement.

Schef

Forum Newbie
Threads
Give us the model and spec numbers for the engine. Also, did you purchase an OEM carb or just one off the Internet which they say will work for your engine? What was the part number for the new carb?]

Thanks, Rivets. The model number for the mower is 917.383280. Here are some of the specs:

HP: 3.5
Spark plug: .030 inch gap; Champion RJ19LM/Sears 33312/STD 361458 or 360950
Valve clearance: Intake .008 inch; Exhaust .008 inch
Solid state ignition air gap: .0125 inch
Engine: Craftsman model 143.424012
20" rear discharge

As I told CPurvis, I obtained the replacement carb from Sears. The part number for the carb is 632795A, which they said replaces the original carb (part number 632046A). I believe the replacement carb is OEM, but I have no way of knowing. I'm only taking Sears' word for it, but I can tell you that 632795A definitely wasn't designed specifically for that mower; only 1 of the 3 seals for the new carb they sent even aligned properly, though they appeared to create a solid seal...

All that being said, I don't necessarily believe that the new carb is not functioning properly, as the mower is still doing exactly what it did (start, then die) before I replaced the carburetor...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the engine model you gave us, you have a Tecumseh model TVS90-43504H. This is a 2-cycle engine, which changes a few things, as we were figuring a 4-cycle engine. That’s why I asked for numbers in post 3. If you did get a carb, with part number 632795A, it should be an adjustable carb. This means you have to adjust that carb according to the manual attached. Should have one high speed mixture adjustment, button of carb, one idle mixture adjustment, side of carb and one idle speed control, top of carb. Does this sound right?
https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/TECUMSEH-SERVICE--REPAIR-MANUAL-2-CYCLE-TVS-TVXL-HXL-HSK-840-850-694988.pdf

Cusser

Threads
I obtained the replacement carburetor directly from Sears (the manufacturer of Craftsman).

Actually, Sears did not manufacture ANY of these, they contracted out and put the Craftsman name on them.

Schef

Forum Newbie
Threads
[Sears did not manufacture ANY of these, they contracted out and put the Craftsman name on them.

They don't even go so far as to have the CRAFTSMAN name on them.

Schef

Forum Newbie
Threads
That’s why I asked for numbers in post 3. If you did get a carb, with part number 632795A, it should be an adjustable carb. This means you have to adjust that carb according to the manual attached. Should have one high speed mixture adjustment, button of carb, one idle mixture adjustment, side of carb and one idle speed control, top of carb. Does this sound right?

That makes sense. It didn't come with a manual, though your description does sound about right. I found the adjustment on the bottom of the bowl when I installed it, and adjusted that one.

I'll get the manual off the internet and take a look for the other adjustments...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because we now know that it is a 2-cycle engine, not 4-cycle, it may not be the carb at all. 2 and 4 cycle engine needed to be troubleshooted in a totally different way. Things like PTO and magneto seals could be leaking. Muffler and muffler ports may be plugged. Compression ratios are different, requiring different sealing requirements. If we had know this earlier, we probably would have had you look in another direction first. Good luck.