Toro Z4200 Timecutter cutting uneven

bull nutria

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a used low hours Timecutter. I noticed that the left blade is cutting at least 1/2 inch lower than the right blade. I took the deck off inspected it. deck does not seem warped. however left blade rubs concrete and right side does not. there is a slight wobble in left the top pulley when turned by hand. no noticeable slack in the bearing on either spindle.

is it possible that the spindle in bent? blades don't seem bent, they are mating side by side on a level table. I inspected the deck hangers and they seemed to be correctly hanging.

Has anyone encountered this problem with a Timecutter?

the mower runs well and cuts well just very uneven. I adjusted the right/ left adjustment and it didn't help.

Bull

Lawn Addict
Threads
Blades should Never be lower than the deck. If you are seeing a wobble by hand turning a spindle, you may have found your own problem.

At any rate the blades should always be measured after tires are set to correct air spec. Then on flat surface measure the blade tips to the ground.

And they should line up in the middle (2 blade set up) then spin 180* & check again. Should be even to each tip.

If the pulley is wobbling, then the blade should be doing the same in case of bent shaft. Otherwise it may just be the pulley..,

My Toro 42 has not ever had this issue..

bull nutria

Forum Newbie
Threads
I showed the deck to 2 experienced guys who determined that the deck was bent down slightly near the inside of the left spindle. It was suggested that I beat on the deck with a large hammer! I took it to a local machine shop. the machinist said he would try to use his press to straighten the deck.

Stay tuned for results.

Bull

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bull- That should be easy fix. Hope to hear good news.

bull nutria

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Toro Z4200 Timecutter cutting uneven UPDATE

After a week at the machine shop the owner called and said he had to remove the left spindle as the deck was bent under it. He broke off the 4 bolts they were corroded! so I had to buy a new spindle and 2 new blades for $114. The machinist did do a good job of straightening the deck with a press. Unfortunately he charged $175!! Good news is that the mower is back together and cuts very evenly. I had a new deck belt on hand so I changed it while I was working on it. I bought the mower used for $800 and put $289 into it so if it lasts a while I'll be OK.

Bull

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good you got it sorted out..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well actually you spent $175 on it.
Spindles & blades are service items much like tyres & brakes on your car

bull nutria

Forum Newbie
Threads
I never thought of the blades and spindles as serviceable items but you are correct!! thanks for pointing that out!!

Bull

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I never thought of the blades and spindles as serviceable items but you are correct!! thanks for pointing that out!!

Bull

Still comes out of the wallet but it makes the head space feel better about it. :thumbsup: