Flywheel Key Shearing

fritz1255

Threads
I have a Model 850 Briggs & Stratton single cylinder engine (190 cc I believe) that keeps shearing the flywheel key for no apparent reason. Is it possible that I am not tightening the flywheel nut enough, and it's working itself loose somehow? I haven't used a torque wrench on it yet.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should be torque to 65 ft. lb. Bet you are right that it is not tight enough.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You might need to dress the flywheel & crank if you have busted a few keys.
Tapers work by being a very close fit so if there is a lip or welt on the edge of the key shafts it prevents the tapers from locking together no matter how tight you do up the nut
Put a tiny smear of grease under the nut, not on the threads to allow it to turn easier on the bearing surface and clamp the flywheel without turning it & breaking the key again.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might sand the taper on the crank and the inner bore of the flywheel with some fine grade paper, get a better contact fit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Might sand the taper on the crank and the inner bore of the flywheel with some fine grade paper, get a better contact fit.

Should lap them together with extra fine valve grinding paste ,or Brasso if you just need to knock the polish off the surface.
Like doing a valve you turn it back & forth , lift, rotate 1/4 turn and do the same .
make sure you protect the top oil seal put some vasoline around it then wash off with hot water.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have to file that away here, good info. Thanks!