Tecumseh formula 11hp issue

Vega3410

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello.. my first post here.. I recently purchased a Coleman generator with a tecumseh 11hp motor on it.. the issue I'm having is itll run about 10 min and then surge for a second then shutoff.. you can choke it and it fires up runs for a min and stalls.. I've cleaned the carb twice replaced the spark plug fuel filter and put in fresh gas.. I'm not sure where to look next..

Russ2251

Threads
Verify that cap is venting.
If it is not, engine will behave exactly as you are describing.
Surging indicates a lean condition.
There are other possibilities.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you cleaned the carb did you check the float level? Please post all engine numbers so we can see what carb you have.

Vega3410

Forum Newbie
Threads
Loosened cap.. ran about 45 minutes.. longest since I've had it.. didnt notice float level..

It's a Coleman generator model# PMA525500.01
Tecumseh formula 11hp motor..

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending on age, either stamped in the top or side of the shroud or black and silver tag on side of shroud. Need all numbers.

Vega3410

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes just stalls.. starts right back.. runs a few minutes and stalls again..

Russ2251

Threads
I suspect another issue.
The fact that it takes so long for engine to run lean and then to surge and then stall
tells me there is a slow blockage taking place.
There must be a trash buildup somewhere in the fuel supply, likely in bottom of tank.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree, make sure the tank has nothing floating in it. If that fails to solve the problem I would then look at the carb, which is one that I hate to work on. No real adjustments, only thing you can do is purchase a bowl kit and replace the entire lower part of the carb.