Hustler raptor kawasaki crankshaft end snapped off

turboawd

Threads
I guess dementia is setting in! My machine is actually 4 years old.
I'll still contact kawasaki and see what they say.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not the first person who forgot when they bought their mower.
Makes no difference.
If this was a wide spread problem there would be a recall notice out on that series of engines so it should be replaced
If kawasaki does not know about it they will want to know about it because if for instance all of the Hustlers with this engine start dropping cranks at 4 + years then that will push Hustler towards fitting a different ( read Chinese 50% cheaper ) engine.
So it is a loose loose situation for both of them.
The big trick is to be nice & worried not angry & agressive.
IF your dealer thinks he might be facing dozens of customers with broken cranks on mowers that are out of warranty he will not be happy.
From the dealers point of view that is about as bad as it gets. Hard to sell new mowers with an angry ex-customer screaming & yelling in your showroom every week.
From kawasaki's point of view, they will want to know why that crank failed cause they are in line to be the biggest looser cause if Hustler decides to go with an imported engine that hurts them really bad particularly when being better lasting longer than the equivalent Briggs or Kohler IS THEIR MARKETING PLAN.

MikeRSD54

Threads
Not the first person who forgot when they bought their mower.
Makes no difference.
If this was a wide spread problem there would be a recall notice out on that series of engines so it should be replaced
If kawasaki does not know about it they will want to know about it because if for instance all of the Hustlers with this engine start dropping cranks at 4 + years then that will push Hustler towards fitting a different ( read Chinese 50% cheaper ) engine.
So it is a loose loose situation for both of them.
The big trick is to be nice & worried not angry & agressive.
IF your dealer thinks he might be facing dozens of customers with broken cranks on mowers that are out of warranty he will not be happy.
From the dealers point of view that is about as bad as it gets. Hard to sell new mowers with an angry ex-customer screaming & yelling in your showroom every week.
From kawasaki's point of view, they will want to know why that crank failed cause they are in line to be the biggest looser cause if Hustler decides to go with an imported engine that hurts them really bad particularly when being better lasting longer than the equivalent Briggs or Kohler IS THEIR MARKETING PLAN.

Well said. Going to follow this thread closely to see how this is handled. This should be made right....never even heard of this happening before. Just a matter of getting the right person's attention now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The down side is while every one is dancing around in circles & blaming each other the grass is still growing.

turboawd

Threads
The dealer said there is nothing they can do since it's been 4 years. I sent an email with photos to kawasaki engine plant where these are made (made in the usa). Hopefully I'll get a response.

Hugeroost

Threads
The dealer said there is nothing they can do since it's been 4 years. I sent an email with photos to kawasaki engine plant where these are made (made in the usa). Hopefully I'll get a response.

man I cant believe the dealer said sorry but no cigar, I would have started out nice then went into azz reemin mode, dealers are so chicken shyt these days. Then i would get on my phone and start working my way up the kawasaki ladder till i got someone with some authority to do something. I had a similar situation w Briggs last year and thats what i did, took a whole day but i finally got ahold of a guy up top with a formal education and he made it right...Roost

turboawd

Threads
Got a reply from kawasaki :
Good Afternoon,
We recommend that you contact your local authorized Kawasaki dealer to obtain answers regarding your Kawasaki engine. Please use the link below to find a dealer close to you.
And if I contact the local kawasaki dealer, I'm afraid they'll tell me too bad, you're out of warranty.

turboawd

Threads
Oh. And I looked up who my local kawasaki engine dealer is, and it's my Hustler dealer who said they can't do anything......
I thought Kawasaki was a great engine and was happy that they're made in the usa too. I've lost faith in them now.

Hugeroost

Threads
Oh. And I looked up who my local kawasaki engine dealer is, and it's my Hustler dealer who said they can't do anything......
I thought Kawasaki was a great engine and was happy that they're made in the usa too. I've lost faith in them now.

They are a great engine, all the way up to the KX500 which I have 2. I think you need to return that email from them and tell em your local kawa dealer dont give a rats azz about anything once you leave w your new mower. They'll make it good but you may have to ride em a little, forget that dealer they wont help you unless kawa pays them to. I would also inform them of the 36 page thread on the forum discussing how they won't take care of their customers like Koehler and Briggs do

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think most manufacturer's set aside money for 'unusual' warranty claims. This should certainly qualify as an unusual claim. If it isn't, Kawasaki has a big problem on their hands.

It would be interesting to have a lawyer request information from Kawasaki on just how many warranty claims they've denied because of a broken crankshaft snout. If there are a lot, then maybe there should be a class-action suit. If there are few to none, it qualifies as unusual.