John Deere LA110 will not start

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I like to help people .
However it is hard to do if they will not co-operate.
Back in post #12 you asked how to test the regulator & in post # 13 you were asked to take 3 voltage measurements .
Can not seem to find your reply.

Leever2000

Threads
I do appreciate the help but all of the voltage checks, model number/part number etc... was sort of secondary after I dumped some fuel system cleaner down the throat of the carb (you mentioned in a earlier message that the fuel solenoid could be gummed up) and let it set over night last week.
The next day I planned to do all of the voltage checks etc... (Saturday) and was about to do it and I started the lawnmower to move it out of the shed to take voltage measurements and retrieve the model/part number and respond back but the mower was running so well I didn't want to waste time so I cut as much of the grass that I could and the lawnmower ran out of gas. Thinking that if I put gas in and tried to start it wouldn't run again but it started right up and I finished cutting the grass.
Yesterday I started the lawnmower with no issues and today I plan to start up again run. I'm in disbelief thinking that the mowers problem was just some scum in the fuel system and that the mower is still starting with no issues. If I run into the same issues again I will check the voltages and get the model and part number.

I didn't really want to start taking things apart because the problem just arose without any apparent reason other that the spark plug was fowled and I replaced it.

Again thanks for all of the help! Greatly Appreciated!

Leever2000

Threads
Have you checked the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb? If it is not working properly it may be shutting the fuel getting from the carb to the cylinder.

Measuer & post the following
Battery voltage engine off .
Battery voltage engine WFO
Battery voltage engine WFO & PTO on
Mine runs for about 15 to 20 mins then starts to sputter then dies and no restart. How do i test the rectifier?
Same thing has happened again. Mower ran fine from last year until now. Right in the middle of cutting grass mower died and would not start. Pulled plug and strong smell of gas (flooded.). Time to check voltages - What is WFO?

Leever2000

Threads
I took some voltage readings -
Measuer & post the following
Battery voltage engine off - 12.48 VDC then tried to start but would barely turn over and would not start measured voltage across battery again and it was 11.2.
Battery voltage engine WFO - What is WFO?
Battery voltage engine WFO & PTO on

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take a voltage reading at the battery with the key In the start position and report back.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
WFO = WIDE FLAT OUT
I am thinking the alternator is not keeping up with the current draw while mowing.

Leever2000

Threads
the voltage was 12.2 VDC when key in start position
Noticed engine would barely turn over so charged battery over night and hooked back up still would barely turn over. So took battery and had checked at auto parts store and very low CCA 85. So bought new battery installed and would turn over very strong but would not even try to start. (I also replaced air filter and spark plug). tomorrow will check for spark.

Last edited: