ZT34 - Are wider tires (wheels) available?

Threads
Hello, all.

I recently parked my Bronco and bought a lightly-used Gravely ZT34. I have almost no complaints... it's everything I expect from a small zero turn and it zips effortlessly around the seemingly endless (and growing) number of things I have to mow around and between in my yard! :laughing:

My only gripe is the narrow tires. I've not been so aggressive as to make ruts or tear up my yard but I've been slipping and sliding a bit and the whole "zero" aspect of turning is basically non-existent on even slightly damp grass.

I'm not at all familiar with mowers of this type, nor light implements in general... can wheels/tires be swapped without much trouble? What should I be looking for? (Wider, obviously, and I think flat would be better than round)

Any help is appreciated!

-Brian

Lawn Addict
Threads
Brian- Might try 3 point turn arounds..

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Son has a basic Sears ZT mower and mows some pretty rough areas with it. He got a pair of four wheeler tires with a rougher tread and the mower goes about anywhere now. But it handles a lot different with the added traction. Get those tires reasonable if you shop around and they are about exactly the same sizes as used on mowers.

Threads
I got serious about this project last weekend and my hopes were immediately dashed. Clearance between the tire and the frame bits holding the transaxle in place is less than 3/4"!

IMG_20190730_1938400.jpg

I could potentially go up to 7.5" but the risk of rubbing is too high to mess with. I think I'll try to find a slightly more aggressive tread in a 7" tire and call it a day.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I doubt you will find a more aggressive tread that what you have. A lugged tire will rip up your lawn. What pressure are you running in’s the rear wheels, I recommend 13 PSI max. High than that contributes to sliding.

Threads
Thanks for the tip. I don't have a gauge that goes that low (LOL) but I deflated them until I got some "squish" in the sidewall. (It was under 20 lbs, anyway) It did help a bit. It was super wet and I didn't slip around nearly as much so if it were dry, I think I'd be in good shape.

Thanks again! I'll get a gauge with markings for 0-20 lbs and see where I'm actually at.