HRC216 torque value needed

otisdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello -

I hit a piece of railroad track in my yard and broke the crankshaft of my engine. Mower is one of the earlier versions. Replaced engine with a newer version of same, and it is quite an improvement - always starts on the first pull, unlike it's predecessor. Only problem is that it makes a racket when the blades are not engaged. Mows fine, otherwise.
I suspect the noise is due to me not tightening some bolts - specifically, the three bolts in the clutch area (bolt, special 6 mm, 90021-VA4-000). I didn't crank these down because of the springs around the shaft of each bolt - I guessed that the springs shouldn't be compressed completely, but I actually don't know what I am doing, obviously!
If someone could provide some insight, I would appreciate it. So would my wife....she came running out of the house complaining about the noise when I started it up for the first time.

Thanks

Last edited:

otisdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks...they're at least that tight.
Would having them too tight cause the racket?

Thanks

tadawson

Threads
I looked at the manual for that, and it looks like he same clutch as on my HR215. Those bolts have a shoulder which sets how far they go in, and should be tighteded until they seat. They basically detemine the tension on the blade brake clutch ball assembly, and assuming that the rest is put together correctly

https://www.planopower.com/oem-part...#_GJ03-1000001_TO_GJ03-1366578_ROTARY_BLADE/y

Make sure the bushings, part #14 in the diagram, are also present. And to confirm, the bolts in question are #21, correct?

Oh, and note also that the tension on those bolts is *reduced* when the blade is engaged, not increased. They basically are what causes the brake to release once the balls turn to allow it.

otisdog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Yes, the bolts in question are #21, and the #14 bushings are present.
One thing about your response confuses me....the bolts are shouldered, but the springs that surround the bolts butt up against the shoulder, which means that they can't seat - the spring prevents that.
Mower cuts fine, and sounds normal once I engage the blade. Before the blade is engaged, it "clangs". Pretty sure everything else has been assembled correctly, but anything's possible, given my lack of experience working on mowers.

tadawson

Threads
The bolts that should be there are only partially threaded, and have a solid shank, making it impossible to fully compress the springs. If yours are fully threaded, then it either came to you with the wrong hardware, or those bolts are somewhere else where they can't clamp fully, resulting in the noise.

To clarify: these bolts will seat at the step at the end of the threads, not at the head (at least if they are the correct bolts . . . ) and when seated, the springs will have the correct tension, but *NOT* be fully compressed.