Tranny problem

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
13BX60TG766 With foot pedal (hydrostat) transmission.

Reverse is fine and dandy. But forward is a completely different story.

From the right side, when I press the foot pedal, I I can see everything turn as it's supposed to. The big pulley on top turns as fast as I mash the pedal. But, there's a LOT of slipping going on and some grinding like noise. It'll sort of catch of like a half second, then slip again.
As I said it doesn't seem like the belt is slipping. The drive belt pulleys from the engine aren't stuck. They need to be replaced. But they turn by hand just a little noisy.

Is this a bad transmission? Or am I not seeing or checking something?

MowLife

Threads
You have 2 drive belts on this model. 1 belt goes from engine to vari drive pulley and the other from the vari drive to the transaxle. If either is worn it won’t drive smoothly. When you replace them you have to replace both at the same time with OEM belts. You stating you have a noise sounds like a bad pulley or the vari drive itself. Remove the belts and spin pulleys by hand to find where your noise is coming from. The vari drive works by belt tension moving the center part of the pulley up and down giving you different speeds. You should be able to easily move the center part by hand up and down with no side to side slop in it with belts removed.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The top belt (short one in a triangle shape of Pulleys) turns the big pulley that connected to the transmission. When I engage the pedal, it spins. The farther I press the pedal, the faster that spins. But it doesn't really go anywhere. Unless it catches for a seconds. It's almost a (not quite) a grinding sound.

Being that reverse works fine, makes me think it's not a necessarily a belt problem Although, I could be wrong. But, I'll be sure to check what you're talking about before i go pulling the transmission out.

BTW, if it doesn't slide up and down easily, putting thin lube on it probably won't help, will it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ilengine has given you the good information
The forward / reverse mechanism has 2 bevel gears and a thrust washer
The forward gets used a lot so wears
The reverse does not get used much so it does not wear much
You will need to replace the bevel gear & thrust washer and shaft bush on the forward side.

While you are waiting for them just mow in reverse.
you will also need to replace the grease .
Use the numbers on the tag below the seat to download your parts book
You will see what he is talking about.

I do around 2 of these every season as they are like me, not as young as they used to be.

MowLife

Threads
Sorry think I misread the original question or my mind was elsewhere. Does lean to trans probs.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not hydrostat. Single speed gear transmission with forward/reverse selector and go pedal to engage the drive belt. You are having issues with the forward gear and the sliding collar because they are worn. See items 15 and 16 on the following diagram

https://www.partstree.com/parts/tro...onco-lawn-tractor-2007/transmission-assembly/

Thanks for yours and Berts info.

After take the belts off, the variable speed pulley, I was lucky to find the center pulley was free and easy. Spinning the larger (OD) pulley on top of the tranny, I could feel the problem. Grabbing and slipping on the forward gear.

I've only had the luxury (insert sarcasm) of opening up one transmission before. And it wasn't this type. But that was easy enough. From the diagram, this one actually looks easier than the Craftsman 5 speed from before.

Thanks for all your help.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ilengine has given you the good information
The forward / reverse mechanism has 2 bevel gears and a thrust washer
The forward gets used a lot so wears
The reverse does not get used much so it does not wear much
You will need to replace the bevel gear & thrust washer and shaft bush on the forward side.

While you are waiting for them just mow in reverse.
you will also need to replace the grease .
Use the numbers on the tag below the seat to download your parts book
You will see what he is talking about.

I do around 2 of these every season as they are like me, not as young as they used to be.

Thanks for that info.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Shift collar will be worn like the bevel direction gears. It may not look like much wear but doesn't take much to cause issues.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shift collar will be worn like the bevel direction gears. It may not look like much wear but doesn't take much to cause issues.

I just found a couple of video's on this. Seems easy peasy. Not a lot of parts.