Antique

tosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,

I just resurrected an old "brick motor" Lawn Boy. It's been resting for probably close to 40 years and runs well after de-gumming the carb and a bit of TLC. I had one 38 years ago and forgot just how wonderfully simple and un-fussy these things are. Super lightweight too.

Engine number reads 486407. Model # 012B (?) Serial # 3 000 09 (?) The numbers could be way off. The engine number looks like it was made in the casting sand by a 5 year old with a stick, although reasonably legible. The other numbers are pretty much guestimates and close to illegible. What year might this machine be from?

Thanks folks.

tosh

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Deminin. I'll check that out.

DrewZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,

I just resurrected an old "brick motor" Lawn Boy. It's been resting for probably close to 40 years and runs well after de-gumming the carb and a bit of TLC. I had one 38 years ago and forgot just how wonderfully simple and un-fussy these things are. Super lightweight too.

Engine number reads 486407. Model # 012B (?) Serial # 3 000 09 (?) The numbers could be way off. The engine number looks like it was made in the casting sand by a 5 year old with a stick, although reasonably legible. The other numbers are pretty much guestimates and close to illegible. What year might this machine be from?

Thanks folks.

Sounds like it might be a 5000 or 5100 model from the mid-50s. Try cleaning up the shroud plate a little more to see if any of the numbers become clearer.

This post on MTF gives some ranges of serial numbers.
https://www.mytractorforum.com/9485969-post37.html

Here's a pic of the shroud plate from mine. Based on the MTF post, I believe mine is from 1957, and was originally attached to a 7100 mower.

2UAHp-wl9J0Ni14pG5RHemq_0RtTPQ15aj6nTLiPfDlYETzRLTxrCWaXsAVYzbXz4n9enWKp69Tur_HaV44iICxs_TpNW7wOllfkm3xLdNI77hD6kifDJXRGfX4WucdS22Cy7b_Q2A=w600