engine driven belt clutch /pulley

pcfixitdave

Threads
Hi all, only posted once before 'mtd restoration' , all went well ,though could not get up steep hills ,put this down to belts slipping.This improved with belt dressing,Then started noticing not sucking up grass very well into bag, mowing particularly steep hilly top garden both hill problem and after spraying beltdressing on deck belts this seemed to highlight what i am convinced is clutch slipping this item ww.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blade-Brake-Clutch-Pulley-Fits-MTD-717-1787A-717-1787-753-06346/332246918741?hash=item4d5b75a655:g:xxwAAOSwE3BXFk3D , 753-06346 being the relevent pt no. Situation now is it cuts but not well at all looking at belts going quite slow and every now and again fires up to full song clutch is hot so got to be slipping. found a good youtube item on the clutch though in Polish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0m-E6Gp1o4 so intend to strip and see if can be fixed anyone had dealings of this nature any tips gratefully received, the ride on is MTD RH 135/105B 2003/4 great machine very happy with it any other information on this clutch is very scarce ie none so will post if i get anywhere with it, i am thinking i will have to somehow renew friction material of my own devising on plate should be interesting to say the least Great forum thanks for all the tips i have already read keep up the good work cheers

pcfixitdave

Threads
IMG_0401.jpgIMG_0408.jpgIMG_0405.jpgIMG_0402.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0403.jpgIMG_0400.jpgIMG_0407.jpgIMG_0404.jpg this is what she looks like now just the clutch to sort out,cheers

pcfixitdave

Threads
Thanks for the reply Mark but my clutch is a good ole manual doohickey cheers

pcfixitdave

Threads
Getting a bit lonely replying to my own posts most of the time, anyway in the interest of maybe helping someone else i will keep posting on developments. I have disassembled the clutch pully Noram same as on lots of machines with manual lever clutch although the dearth of youtube videos or any other information sources is perplexing, maybe the fact that these are 'no servicable parts inside' items costing CONSIDERABLE amounts of money explains that although knowing yanks and brits tendency to take everything apart and reverse engineer, them the lack of information is still puzzling. As you might expect being an ex mechanic i will take no notice whatsoever of claims of 'cannot be serviced etc'. First off i thought that there was once some friction material on clutch plate that had worn off ,but having nothing to compare with i simply did not know ,then studying the 3 youtube videos i have managed to find there is no friction material on any that i can see this maybe design for 'soft engagement of clutch' so have obtained gasket material kevlar, aramid fibres, glass fibre etc for harsh environments and high temps,which as yet i am not using but first trying a coating method on plate which having applied certainly grips better than before my first mix is bitumen , rubber roof seal and sand used to use similar on aircraft 'wing walk' paint very non slip.If indeed these units cannot be serviced i would think the two plates simply wear reducing engagement and making Noram tons of money ,well not without a fight buddy. Probably the trickiest part of using a lining (gasket material ) will be maintaining clearance of two plates as the driven one does not move a lot to engage however will keep the forum posted on my experiments and any success or lack of it, not tested yet at the bleeding edge of lawnmowing but you know i think it will work wish me luck cheers ( a tryer)

pcfixitdave

Threads
Hi Dave, this is DAVE replying to your thread again glad we have become good friends so nice to meet a like minded soul on the forum as no one else speaks to me sob!, anyway enough sarcasm, went out on test flight following application of non slip coating to clutch, cut brilliantly and filled grass catcher to the top ON FIRST RUN! then afraid started slipping again finally no drive to belt . But this is a good thing proves it can be made to drive the pulley all development and research stuff is like this . So next step is to line plate with cork as this is used on a plethora of systems as drive medium so onwards and upwards will continue to update as some people may find this useful cheers

pcfixitdave

Threads
Just one additional thing , cannot beleive the lack of information anywhere on these clutches no one ever seems to have worked on them, figured out a way to refurb etc very strange as youtubers into evey aspect of ride on mowers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well Dave I will answer your posts but in reality I can't see why I would bother.
We have already established that it is an EU only model and as such there is no information about it anywhere outside the EU
Nice photos of no use what so ever and being that 1/2 of them are out of focus I wonder why you bothered to upload them other than to prove you can not take a photo.
And one of the offending clutch would have been a bit more helpful.
When you said belt dressing you lost my attention and any urge to respond since using it on wrapped kevlar belts effectively destroys the belt and totally buggers the friction co-efficients.
IT is designed to be used with naked belts, to soften & break up glazed surfaces so the belt becomes sticky again. Exactly what you do not want with a clutching belt.

You say it both fails to throw the clippings up into the catcher AND DRIVE UP HILLS which means either both the blade & drive belts are too long or the entire stack pulley is worn out or the drive key in the pulley is missing / damaged.

I checked the part numbers of the clutch that I have never seen and while listed on several, Australian sites . all of them state 3 to 5 working day to despatch which means they do not hold the part in stock and have to order one from MTD.
THis indicates that the part is actually not available at all but listed to suck you in.

As all of the information about them and the only places that have the stack pulley are in the EU then there is the problem, an EU only model that non one else on the planet has seen.
OTOH the price does seem quite cheap.
We pay that down here for a plain stack pulley with no clutch.
Now if you want to post some photos of the actual clutch dissasembled you might get some reasonable answers , like fitting a loose friction plate from a 1950's motorcycle clutch.
But from what you have written, you may as well been using Gaelic because as we have not seen one it is next to impossible to visualize what you were talking about

pcfixitdave

Threads
Like so many of your countrymen Bert you must be a windup merchant 'photos out of focus',' don't know what clutch you are talking about' all posted previously comprehensive links to youtube showing clutch. I was not aware it was an arts site where atmospheric artistic sunset shots were the thing ,do us a favour mate don't come the raw prawn, and no all my belts are the right length and have not self destructed or blown up. i'm just a bloke who has not had one of these before and was looking for some tips , obviously mistakenly as this forum does not seem to be that place. I bow down to the all seeing oracle guru of the ride on lawn mower and retire from troubling you cheerio mate