Spark Plug Cap missing something as mower wont start (Honda Izy)

Tofa

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Spark Plug Cap missing something as mower wont start (Honda Izy)
Hello!

I have what is probably a very obvious/silly question, but I know very little about lawnmowers (sorry), I do know that my Honda Izy will no longer start though! :smile:

I think I am supposed to see some metal in the spark plug cover - is that correct? I wondered if something has fallen out?
Does this look image look wrong to anyone?

Thank you!

Honda Izy Spark Plug Cover.jpg

[Edit] Some additional details:
There is fuel in the mower, it was working recently a couple of weeks ago when i last used it. I always disconnect the spark plug cover from the spark plug when i am finished using it.
When I say it won't start I mean that I pull the cord but it doesn't ignite (yes, I've turned the fuel dial to horizontal and although i saw some fuel in the mower I did add a little extra just in case but that didn't help. It was then that I looked inside the cover - I'm sure there used to be some metal in there, but maybe I imagined it...). Part of my issue is even if that is the problem i don't know if it is something I can fix (i have never attempted any lawnmower repairs) and if not, I don't quite know what to request of a lawnmower repair person!)

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try pushing the wire further into the boot. The metal connector could of slide into the boot. If you push the wire into the boot and see the end of the wire then the clip is indeed missing.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yes there is supposed to be a metal tab in there that clips on the spark plug.
You should be able to pull that rubber "boot" off and it should expose some bare wire, you might can go to a hardware store and find a connector that will fit on the spark plug and crimp it to the wire.I
Do as Ilengine advised first

Tofa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your help!

I tried to push the wire further into the 'boot' but it was glued it so i tried to twist it to break the seal and then i was able to pull it out slightly.
At which point I could see a metal ring (I think) at the base of the boot, so it looks like the clip you mention is missing (I attach a new photo).

I think now I have this information I can go to a hardware store - or actually I know a place that handles Honda repairs so I can call them up and ask them if they have a suitable replacement part.

Thanks again for your fast responses!

Boot Cap Close Up2.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did you try putting it on the plug after you exposed the metal ring?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you for your help!

I tried to push the wire further into the 'boot' but it was glued it so i tried to twist it to break the seal and then i was able to pull it out slightly.
At which point I could see a metal ring (I think) at the base of the boot, so it looks like the clip you mention is missing (I attach a new photo).

I think now I have this information I can go to a hardware store - or actually I know a place that handles Honda repairs so I can call them up and ask them if they have a suitable replacement part.

Thanks again for your fast responses!

attachment.php

No need to go anywhere since the part that we were looking for is there It is the metal wire ring that clips onto the spark plug sometimes it will pull loose from the wire but in most cases can be reattached if needed. With the ring exposed in the bottom of the boot attach it to the plug and see if it works.

Tofa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I'll give that a go - might be later in the week or next week now but I will keep my fingers crossed!

Smurfy76

Threads
Is it me or does the rest of it look like it's still on the spark plug. The plug has something gold on it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A LITTLE squirt with silicon spray lubricant into the boot then position it wire directly down will usually get the cable sliding through the boot.
No maker glues the boot to the cable but heat caused\s the book to shrink & get stuck on
Boots either push on or screw on but none are glued on.