Walk behind front self propelled hard to steer when engaged

atomic67

Threads
When I engage the self propel on my push mower it feels like its having a hard time going straight. I replaced the front tires already and the drive belt looks ok. Should I replace the front wheel bearings or is this a transmission issue?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
post complete Snapper model number, how old is mower? i would suspect a part or parts have come loose or are worn out, careful inspection of drive assembly is needed, remember if you turn mower on it's side do so with air cleaner carburetor side up.

atomic67

Threads
post complete Snapper model number, how old is mower? i would suspect a part or parts have come loose or are worn out, careful inspection of drive assembly is needed, remember if you turn mower on it's side do so with air cleaner carburetor side up.

I'm sorry this is on my Craftsman 22" 6.5hp 917.376742 (2007). I bought this mower and it was in rough shape. It was meant to be a project mower for my sons. I have tuned it up and replace several components. It mows straight, but once you engage the self propel it starts to slide around, from side to side. This is a heavy mower so the self propel would really help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Common problem with this design. Drive system really has only one speed, making it hard to control. On some unit you can slow the speed by changing which hole you mount the upper cable bracket.

atomic67

Threads
Common problem with this design. Drive system really has only one speed, making it hard to control. On some unit you can slow the speed by changing which hole you mount the upper cable bracket.

so I adjusted the bracket to make it a little harder to pull in the hopes that I could control the speed better. The slower I go the control issues are less noticeable, but I think that defeats the purpose of the self propel. I have had several self propel mowers and this is the first one that I have these issues with. This is an old project mower and I don't mind spending more money on it, but I guess I could try a new belt and wheel bearings before I replace the transmission. one thing I have noticed is that the left wheel is already showing signs of the teeth wearing out compared to the right wheel.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It’s your call to throw new parts at it, but from my experience I don’t think it will solve your problem. It’s the nature of this unit and design.