engine problem

odegard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can anyone tell me if they have had the problem of the engine starting, running for 20 to 30 minutes and then simply dies? I will let it sit for 10 minutes then it will start up again and do the same thing. Seems to be getting hot. Is there an over heat sensor that can go bad? Do spark plugs go bad and get too hot then stop firing? Have changed the fuel pump, fuel filter, cleaned the tank, and anything else I can think of.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That sounds like a ignition coil failing, the ignition coil is mounted under the plastic decorative engine cover right near the flywheel, it creates the spark for the plug and when they get old or start to go out they can stop working once they heat up.
start the engine let it run until it dies, then right after it dies (be careful dont burn yourself) take the spark plug out, leave the wire attached and hold it against some metal on the engine and have someone crank the engine over and look for a spark at the end of the plug,if no spark, more than likely your coil is bad.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The instant the engine stops toss a LITTLE fuel down the carb & crank the engine
Engine fire = fuel problem

Engine does not fire do the same down the plug hole
Engine fires = valve problem
Engine does not fire = spark problem