Won't go forward or back

Shawn R.

Threads
Craftsman 16.5 HP
42” Mower
MODEL # - 917.271632
SERIAL # - 110801A013531

Hello. So, we've had this old craftsman riding mower for almost 2 years now and three times did we have an issue with it not wanting to go forward or backwards. The first time it happened, the guy who fixes them said something about a bent rod in the transmission but then later said he didn’t say that.

The second time it happened, the guy replaced the drive belt and it worked just fine. Now, after being under a tarp for 7 days, it’s back to not wanting to go forward or backwards. The strange thing about all this is it’ll work fine until I park it and put a tarp over it, then wait about 7 days until it’s time to cut the yard again. And that’s when it starts acting like it don’t want to go forward or backwards.

This is the third time it happened. We checked the drive belt and it appears to be on there. What’s weird is how it worked fine until we parked it, shut if off, and then let it sit for 7 days under a tarp. And now all of a sudden it won’t move. What could be the problem this time?

Mower Pic.jpg

Shawn R.

Threads
Just realized it posted four times. I apologize. When I tried to edit the post, the text wouldn't show up so I hit the back button and that's why it posted four times. Please delete the other three.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mo...man-917271632-front-engine-lawn-tractor-parts

see troubleshooting page 28

are you having to add oil to transmission, if so what brand & weight?

jack up rear end place on jack stands & sitting in seat see if rear wheels turn after cranking up, scotch front wheels first. if wheels do not turn shut engine off & pull rod at back of tractor out & see if you can turn wheels by hand, if not spray down wheels to axles with liquid wrench penetrating oil etc. & let soak a while before trying to remove wheels. after removing wheels, if axles are rusty use sandpaper, wire brush etc. to remove rust, install anti-seize compound to axles thoroughly, you can purchase anti-seize at any auto parts store, very inexpensive packets. let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

Shawn R.

Threads
I have that manual. It doesn't list the problem I'm having.

Can the amount of oil in the transmission cause it to not move? After the last cut, I didn't check the oil level. I cranked it up to see if it would move and it wouldn't.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That tranny doesn’t use oil, just a lay based grease. Can you push the unit in neutral? Can you shift it to different speeds? When you shift it to different speeds, does the resistance to pushing change? Are you sure the brake is releasing? Have you had the wheels off, then made sure you put the keys back in? Can you hear anything different when you start it up and try to drive it? Have you checked the drive belt tensioner to see if it moves freely? I know that this is a lot of questions, but we are not standing next to you to see what you see.

Shawn R.

Threads
Ok. I'll answer all of your questions tomorrow.

-----

Oh, wow! I found the problem. When Rivets asked if I could push it in neutral, I could. But also realized that it was easy to push it in any gear and the speed was always the same. There was zero resistance when pushing. So, I figured the drive belt must have come off somewhere. I jacked it up from the front, took a mirror and placed it under the front, and saw that one of the wheels didn't have the drive belt on it. We couldn't see this wheel when we looked without a mirror, so we figured something else must've been wrong. Thanks for the help, guys!

Last edited: