Auto choke for a toro 20" recycler with Loncin engine

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Auto choke for a toro 20" recycler with Loncin engine
Got one of these in the workshop, choke stays closed when engine is hot so is impossible to restart hot.
No identifing stickers with model numbers
Can't find a 20" model in any of the usual places so any one with any ideas where to look ?
Model number ?

It has the fixed throttle, single bail control and mulching only base plate with 4 wheel adjusters.
My wholesaler does not do the small Loncin engines, only the ones fitted to ride ons.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This should help you out. Rear bagger or mulcher. Loncin engines are about all the same. Let me know if I can be of any more help. https://www.toro.com/getpub/68400

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank - you good sir.
The link did not work, but it could very well have a location bar on it however the information was enough to send me in the right direction

Looks like the 20" is an Australian exclusive model
Deck is big enough to swing the 22" blade
But the important thing is I now know it is called "control - thermal " and a part # 133-9907 can now be ordered.

Are these as frail as the equivalent B & S ones ?
The customer is gifting this mower to his elderly sister in law because it is very easy to start.
So I am of 2 minds if I should fix it or fit a manual choke

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To be honest, that is the first time I’ve heard about one of those going bad. Done Briggs, Honda and worked with Kohler to solve theirs, but never had a problem with Loncin. If it were me I’d fix it, but you know I’m the guy with no patience or empathy. Good Luck

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK,
I will yield to your greater experience.
This is the very first one of these I have come across.
In fact I have only seen a Briggs auto choke twice and both those needed replacing as the muffler had fallen off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK,
We all know that old adage
Most ignition problems are in the carburettor &
most carburettor problems are in the ignition

Well replaced the auto choke which was not working and the engine still was not reliable when hot.
Traced it back to the kill switch just contacting which looks like it is caused by the cable stretching.

However the throttle plate still is not as far open when hot as I would think it should be.
Any of you who know, how do the following photos look
Should I bend the link to get the throttle plate open further when hot ?
Engine cold
IMG_0001.jpg
Engine Hot
IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, engine cold pic does not open. Engine hot pic shows the choke butterfly is not open fully. I would bend the linkage to get it full open. Let me know if this works as I’ve not run into this problem. Normally it’s a hard cold starting. Have you checked the idle jet, as I have found that if you punch them to .018” it makes it easier to start hot or cold.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No worries, I will try too fix it.
The closed is fully closed it was just there for comparison.
I was not sure just how far it should be open when hot I am used to the Hondas that are full off when hot.
So I will give the linkage a little "mechanical rectification "
There is a second linkage to an air vane to hold the choke fully open when running & this is a fixed throttle set up, not a favourite either.

The actual problem was cable stretch allowing the chintzy cut out switch to ground out when the mower was hot.
A little "mechanical rectification" to the mounting plate has that overcome as well
If there was wear in the zinc Z terminals I would have no reservations in replacing the non adjustable cable but there is barely a mark.
The owner said it was difficult to start & he did not like the dead man's throttle/brake set up so it has been sitting in the back of the shed for a while.
I will tweak that link & send it back tomorrow, glad to have it out of the yard.
Assume this is the bottom end budget model.
Thank you again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On that carb there should be a plastic idle jet. It is located under the fake idle speed screw. Remove the screw and pop out the jet. It likes to clog causing hard starting. I clean it using a .016” micro drill. Check that the small O-ring is still there. If it is clogged, opening solves the hard starting problem 90% of the time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Already replaced it.
Ran 2 tanks through it yesterday, lopping the top of 3' tall tussock grass to put the engine under a lot of load.
Stopped it every couple of minutes then did a restart
Fired up every time on the 2nd revolution so now considered fixed.
Spent way too much time on this one .