Cleaning mower- what a pain

rigoletto

Threads
Wondering, how often should one clean, or have to clean the deck and all around belts from all the debris (grass packed in, twigs, etc)? Every time one mows? i HAVE LEARNED THAT IF i DONT DO IT EVERY 2-3 MOWS THE MOWER DRIVE BELT ACTUALLY HALTS COMPLETELY! iS THIS NORMAL?

Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some deck are worse than others. Normally it doesn't stop the belt unless you are getting a lot of debris buildup under the deck and letting it dry jamming the blades. A leaf blower can do a decent job of removing the loose stuff from the mower and on top of the deck.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Some deck are worse than others. Normally it doesn't stop the belt unless you are getting a lot of debris buildup under the deck and letting it dry jamming the blades. A leaf blower can do a decent job of removing the loose stuff from the mower and on top of the deck.

X2 on the leaf blower, i always blow off the deck,under the seat, transmission areas and engine areas after each mowing, works great.:thumbsup:

NorthBama

Threads
X2 on the leaf blower, i always blow off the deck,under the seat, transmission areas and engine areas after each mowing, works great.:thumbsup:

i do the leaf blower also some mowers to do a good cleaning the spindle covers must be removed

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use compressed air with a long air duster ( 4') .
Usually it will get in , under or behind the spindle covers to remove the grass.
Done every time you mow it is very easy, the longer you leave it the more difficult it becomes.
Some cut holes in the covers to allow clippings to pass through and cleaning easier.

Allowing dry clippings to accumulate on the deck is asking for the deck to burst into flames.
Friction + dry grass is how you start a fire without a match.

Lawn Addict
Threads

Every mow here as well. In fact I spend more time cleaning, that it takes me to mow.. But I enjoy it..

After the leaf blower, I get out my Cal Duster & my clean rag. End of each mow season, after service. mine gets a good cleaning,. including waxing. Yes I wax mine, the slick surface is much easier to keep clean.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I usually pull the deck at the end of the mowing season and about half way through. Clean it up good, check all the bearings - the little idlers are hard on those bearings - really clean good around the spindles, sharpen the blades. Blow it off with the blower after mowing. After you do it a couple times it gets easy.

rigoletto

Threads
Wow, so many replies- I thought this might have been a boring subject! Right- those spindles, with their dumb covers- I bent mine to stay open. packed so hard, I had to use screwdriver with fingers. Got it all done though. This seems like it is 100% maintenence item, not to be ignored. I learned my lesson. This has got to be the most tedious yard chore I can think of. But necessary.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I do about 2 fire rebuilds a year.
Always the same, high summer , friction fire starts on the left spindle cover.
There have been a couple of sizeable grass fires cause by debris accumulated on the decks, starts to smoulder then drops into the dry grass.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I drilled five 1/2" holes on the end of each spindle cover, so my blower can blow anything out & I can see daylight confirming they are clean..

I went with only 1/2" because it is small enough no-one can stick their fingers in the holes. I can't see that happening here. But as they say " Safety First".

When out back cleaning my Z after a mow, all is nice & quiet. I like that, knowing in the house my "house mouse" is waiting & my quiet time will be over.. :laughing: