Ignition Switch wiring codes

PungoBob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all new to the forum. I have a question concerning a Prime Line replacement ignition I purchased for my Yard Machine (MTD). The old switch has a five blade configuration as does the new switch. The old switch blades are labeled S B M G L. The new switch is labeled S B R A I. If anyone knows how these two sets of letters relate to each other I would be greatful for the info. I have to rearrange the wires in the plug as none of the current arrangements match. I have searched the internet with success. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The answer is they don't because those two switches are not interchangeable. The are wired different and will cause other issues by sending 12 volts to things that are not designed to have power like the ignition modules.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually the web catalogue will have the switch connections on it.
Generally the mowers use a socket unique to the plug so if the pins line up then they should be right regardless of the letters on them
Prime line electricals are usually made in Brazil so I would guess the letters are the translations of
B Battery
S Start
M Magneto
G Ground
A Alternator
L Lights

M & G are connected when off
B + S + A when in the cranking position
B +A in the run position
B + A + L in the running with lights on.

PungoBob

Forum Newbie
Threads
The answer is they don't because those two switches are not interchangeable. The are wired different and will cause other issues by sending 12 volts to things that are not designed to have power like the ignition modules.

Thanks for the info. I decided to disassemble the old switch and found corroded contact points. Cleaned it all up and applied dielectric grease reassembled the switch and mower runs just fine. Thanks again the the response.