Briggs and Stratton 13.5 hp

Smurfy76

Threads
So I ran the engine yesterday and all went well. I installed a push button start and a new battery. Drove it to make sure it all ran fine. Later in the day I tried to crank it and it wouldn't move. I tried to spin in by hand and nothing. I can get it to move a quarter turn but it is like it is hitting something. I have done this with and without the spark plugs and and it makes no change. I'm wondering if something broke inside it because if it seized it shouldn't move at all if I'm correct. Was going to try some pb blaster to see if that helps. I checked the oil level and it is low but not empty.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
top off oil level, remove spark plugs, rotate top of engine by hand, let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are having the hot weather there like we are in Wisconsin, a low oil level could be the cause of an internal seizure. Not enough oil getting to the upper bushings or bearings with excessive heat will do it very quickly.

Smurfy76

Threads
So I can't believe I missed this but the magneto coil edged it's way to the flywheel. So tommorow going to reposition it as I think this was the issue.

Smurfy76

Threads
So I took the magno off and it didn't solve the issue. I can get it to spin but it's like it's hitting something. I'm at a loss right now so I guess I will be taking it apart. Just gotta figure out how to get the flywheel off without a pulley.

Smurfy76

Threads
Still trying to get the flywheel off but with no impact wrench it's a task. But I did find a piece of broken magnet so I believe that to be the issue. I so need a impact wrench :(

MowLife

Threads
An old trick may work. Remove spark plug and put a shoestring or similar in the cylinder. Spin the flywheel counter clockwise till the piston tries to compress the string between itself and the head. This will sorta lock it in place to spin off the bolt.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
An old trick may work. Remove spark plug and put a shoestring or similar in the cylinder. Spin the flywheel counter clockwise till the piston tries to compress the string between itself and the head. This will sorta lock it in place to spin off the bolt.

just about to post the same thing, this works! never failed me.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Smurfy76

Threads
I got the bolt off. I got lucky and between the big breaker bar and it jammed up it finnaly popped free. gotta rent a puller for the flywheel as it's on there tight.ill keep ya posted on my findings. But ty for all the help so far.