Briggs and Stratton 13.5 hp

MowLife

Threads
Think this motor is going to nickel and dime you to where it’s not worth it. Personally I would look for a used replacement from Craigslist or similar.

Smurfy76

Threads
I would if I could afford it. Out here people want a small fortune for one

Smurfy76

Threads
Might as well buy another mower for same price.

MowLife

Threads
Keep an eye on classified adds. Many people sell entire machines for 50 to 100 bucks with good motors but rest of mower in bad shape.

Smurfy76

Threads
Yeah they sell bad machines for like 200 to 300 here

Smurfy76

Threads
So she came to life but quick steel I guess wasn't fully cured so I had to take the flywheel off again and repatch the hole. I think it was my fault since I don't think I mixed enough. So I double mixed it and is now setting up. If that doesn't work I'll be trying some jb weld. But ait was nice to hear her running.

Smurfy76

Threads
So keeping an update I ordered new keys as the key was sheared off so it's messing up the timing. Didn't notice it right off. but anytime it wants to stop raining would be awesome. On the bright side I'm a expert at getting the flywheel off. Lol.

Smurfy76

Threads
So even though I can't now my lawn it's at least shiny and hot outside. So I finally got to mess with here to and she back to life. Good thing I ordered a 10 pack of keys because it sheared off like 4 of them. It was my fault as I thought the bolt was on tight but it came loose. So last time I made sure it didn't come loose. So ty for everyone that helped in this project. I can't wait to mow this grass but it's flooded right now so I have no choice. Only bad thing is I have to order a new carb as I broke the mixture screw because I closed it with a pair of vice grips on it. But at least she runs ????

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually when you shear a key there is a tiny raised lip on the edge of the slot in the crankshaft which needs careful filing off.
If you shear a couple of keys then it is time to lap the flywheel.
Done the same as lapping valves but with a finer paste.
Usually Brasso will work but some times I have needed to resort to extra fine valve paste.
The key is not there to take any load it is just there to locate the flywheel in the proper place.
The taper does all of the holding and the strength of this depends upon a close fit between the two parts and the torque on the bolt

Smurfy76

Threads
Ty for the info. Yeah the bolt I realized when I would tighten it after it would crank up I would have to tighten it up more. I thought it was tight but I was sadly mistaken. I was just wedging a screwdriver to hold it still when I would tighten it. Rookie mistake and I'm still learning but I locked a pair of vice grips on it and made sure it was tight.