Briggs and Stratton 13.5 hp

Smurfy76

Threads
When I get this off. How many magnets can I lose before I have to either replace them or get a new flywheel..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
None
The magnets were put in before it was balanced
Take one out & it will be unbalanced.
You can pull the one exactly opposite if you want to maintian the balance.
Both Tary Fixes All & Donny Boy have U-Tube videos on replacing the magnets.
OTOH most small repair only work shops will have shelves full of good flywheels cause w can not bare to toss any good part out.

Smurfy76

Threads
Ok ty. I'll see if I can get one. Not many repair shops around my area but maybe online.

Smurfy76

Threads
So these magnets operate the alternator correct. I'm gonna have to replace that as the magnets shredded it. But I don't have it hooked up anyways so if I remove the magnets would it still run?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
alternator keeps the battery charged, battery provides power for starting the mower. it might can run. but it'll be tough starting it

Smurfy76

Threads
Bat are the magnets there for the magneto coil? I've read different to things on the net.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
generally where the magneto (igniton coil) sits and is adjusted to within thousandths of the flywheel, the magnets are on that outer edge below (or above) the ring gear, the magnets for the alternator (generator) are under the flywheels inside edge.

Smurfy76

Threads
Ok ty I'm putting it all back together now. Between heat and mosquito it sucks.lol but it's almost back now.

MowLife

Threads
Ok ty. I'll see if I can get one. Not many repair shops around my area but maybe online.

Where in Florida you from? I haven’t seen a area in Florida that don’t have a repair shop..we cut grass 9-12 months a year. Outer magnets are needed for the coil the inner ones can be removed but as you know it won’t charge battery or run lights.

Smurfy76

Threads
Over by Wesley chapel area. There are shops but don't carry parts. Mainly for zero turn mowers. But it's back together but not starting. So I have spark. But my worry is compression.when it jammed with the magnets it broke the pegs for the alternator that holds the screws. I'm wondering since it left a hole if it's effecting the compression. Which means taking it apart again. A lil jbweld would plug it and I should have done that before I put it back but I was hoping that it wasn't part of the main engine. I tried starting fluid and that didn't work either. But at least it spins now so I grot that going.