FH540 excessive oil usage

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Kawasaki FH540 engine on a Gravely Zeroturn mower that uses what I think is excessive amount (2-3 ounces per hour). I know that the engine is probably shot but my question is. What is the normal life of one of these engines? I would think that it should go more than ~ 800 hours.

MowLife

Threads
Really depends on how it was maintained and if it was run hard (commercial use). I change my oil every 200 hrs using it commercially. It normally uses about 1/4 quart between changes. I have 1800 hrs on mine now....FH580. Don’t assume your motor is worn out off the bat....these are really tough motors. A blown or partially blown head gasket can make it consume oil and still run good.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maintenance is key here, has engine & mower been maintained on a regular schedule per Engine & Gravely manufacturers Manuals?

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine has been used only for my 4 acre yard maintenance oil changed every 100 hours or annually whichever is shorter. I was mainly looking for life expectancy. I'm now adding 1/2 pint twice during a 4 hour mow.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
How do your spark plugs look?

Forum Newbie
Threads
How do your spark plugs look?

Y'all are awesome, I should have thought to start there. Yes, one of them shows evidence of detonation. Ordering new head gaskets from Jack's Small Engines. Have you used them before?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Jacks is good, I order mostly from Parts Tree since they are located in Austin TX and I live near Houston so my parts get here in 2 days tops standard shipping
If you have a torque wrench the head bolt spec is 19ft lbs.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Jacks is good, I order mostly from Parts Tree since they are located in Austin TX and I live near Houston so my parts get here in 2 days tops standard shipping
If you have a torque wrench the head bolt spec is 19ft lbs.
I'll bookmark them too. Thanks for the torque spec you saved me another Google search and yes due to the fact that there is also a ragged old Jeep in the garage I do have a torque wrench or two handy.