Poulan Pro PP19A42 Issues

lawn_noob

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a new home with about a 1/2 acre yard so I decided to get a riding mower. I found a lightly used Poulan Pro PP19A42 for a decent price and picked it up. This is my first riding mower but I'm not unfamiliar with wrenching - I maintain a few cars and motorcycles regularly.

The first issue is that the mower won't start with the choke on. However, when the throttle is set to rabbit, it starts right up and runs just fine. Where should I start?

Secondly, as I was mowing my new yard, which had become a bit overgrown in the interim of me taking ownership, I ran over a rock. The mower kept going, although sounding rough, then suddenly the blades stopped with the motor running fine. I manually disengaged the blades and drove the mower to the pavement. The deck belt had come loose so I rerouted it correctly and started the mower again. It runs and drives fine until I engage the blades. I did some research and am hoping that I just bent the blades. I ordered some new ones and a deck belt which I'll put on before the weekend. I also read that hitting an object could cause the flywheel key to break but I assumed that since the mower runs/drives fine without the blades engaged that the problem is the blades or deck related. Ideas?

Thanks.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You're on the right track, let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark.

Freedom

Threads
A silly question:
the spindlers are fine?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
To check the spindles just spin them by hand, if they sound rough or take some effort to spin replace them. If they spin easily and make no sound they should be alright.

lawn_noob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Freedom, Scrubcadet -

The rock broke a spindle - it failed at all corners.

IMG_1035.jpg

I'm waiting for the part to come in and I'll have it replaced soon enough. Trying to figure out the best way to deal with this overgrown lawn in the meantime. I was going to try and cut it down with a string trimmer just until I can get the mower back up.

I'm still trying to diagnose the no-start with choke issue so any suggestions/help in that area would be appreciated.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Does it have a Briggs and Stratton engine?

lawn_noob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Scrubcadet -

It does have a B&S, specifically B&S 33R877-0009-G1 (586070701). I'm not as familiar with carburetors so I'm not as quick with troubleshooting and diagnosing issues like the no start with the choke.

Again, it starts and runs fine on the rabbit setting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will hazard a guess that the float is way too high so the engine is in flood condition thus it does not start on choke.

lawn_noob

Forum Newbie
Threads
The new spindle came and I'm in the process of replacing the broken one. When putting the pulley on the new spindle, it seems a little loose. There was no spacer or washer that came off the old one. I've looked for such a part on jackssmallengines diagrams and didn't see anything. Did I need to replace the pulley as well or is there supposed to be a spacer between the pulley bolt and pulley?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Most have a thick washer between the top of the spindle where the shaft exits the housing and the pulley. Some of the new spindles now have the spacer built into the top bearing. Normally if the spacer is missing the pulley will try to tighten down on top of the housing and will either not be able to turn or make a heck of a racket if you can turn it.

Also some of the spindles had the spacer built into the pulley