Honda motor swap for Snapper Walk Behind

taypat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 2167519B 21" Snapper Walk Behind

Part # 7800217

Serial 2012680851

Dad has this model Snapper that is smoking like a SOB. We've always loved Snappers and want to keep the deck. However, I am tempted to swap in a compatible Honda motor, if possible. Upon researching replacement Briggs motors, it appears as if the Briggs motor has a 1 13/16" shaft motor. I have sourced a Honda motor herehttps://www.brandnewengines.com/GCV190-G5BR.aspx that has a a 1 13/16" shaft as well.

Does anyone know if this is a compatible swap, or know of another compatible Honda motor?

P.S. - Sorry purists :p

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Crankshaft diameters and lengths are standardized for small engines, as is the bolt patterns.
Just make sure you are getting the correct diameter shaft as Honda make a lot of metric engines with 20mm & 25mm diameters
Briggs make mostly imperial engines with 7/8" & 1" diameter shafts

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would double check that shaft length, pretty short for a mower. That Honda engine is a heavy flywheel motor, not usually seen on mowers.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can install a Briggs shortblock for a good price directly from Briggs with free shipping. If serviced properly, it will last for 40 plus years. You can't kill these small engines unless you run it out of oil. This is a much easier fix action than "searching" for some Honda engine that might fit.

My opinion, I wouldn't have a Honda engine on any mower of mine. Reasons are they have poor torque output compared to EVERY OTHER small engine manufacturer out there. Also if needed, parts are expensive plus they are harder to work on. Look at the torque specs on them yourself. Around here, you never see any of the lawn crews run Honda mowers. They are terrible baggers and so-so mulchers. Forgot this one, side/rear discharging, all the grass and rocks are thrown at your feet and legs. Great design LOL. They just don't light my fire....

slomo