z525E vs z535M

PaulT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am close to getting a JD 535E (54" deck) at Lowes, which, with a 10% off coupon I have, would cost $3600. (it has, supposedly, been set up by the local JD dealer.) It comes with a 2 yr/200 hr warranty.

I called a local JD dealer (different dealer than the one offering the 2016 mower mentioned in a different thread... we got JD dealers all over the place up here). This dealer has a 2019 535M with a 54" deck and a 4 yr/400 hr warranty that would cost $4399.

The dealer sales person says the 535M is a better machine with better components than the 325E.

But, when I compare specifications online, they appear to be identical but for the "M" having a better air cleaner (cyclonic) and a taller seat. The machines weigh the same, they both have a 724cc M44 ELS engine (?), Tuff Torq TZ17-D hydros, same tires, same everything.

Is the M a better machine or is the sales guy blowing some smoke?

The extra two years of warranty does a value (?). But, if Lowes accepts the 10% off coupon, the price difference between the E and the M is $800. That is a lot for a upgraded air cleaner, 3" of seatback, and two extra years of warranty... if the two machines are fundamentally identical in all other regards.

Is the "M" a better machine? Is the extra two years of warranty, 3" of seat, and a "cyclonic" air cleaner worth an extra $800? (or if I can't use the 10% coupon, an extra $400?

(the price of a JD 4yr/400 hr warranty from JD is $250)

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
since you have multiple JOHN DEERE dealers to choose from, I would take my time & visit at least three dealers for best price, warranty, & service. get quotes in writing so you can show each dealer & give you a better deal.

PaulT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Several dealerships, one owner (True North. Big outfit. Same prices.) The M535 is at the JD dealer. The E525 is at Lowes, but has been set up by the John Deere dealer and will be serviced by any John Deere dealer.

The engine is the only difference I now have a question about. Both engines are BS Inteks. 724 cc. The E's engine is called the M44 Extended Life Series. The M's engine is the M44 Cyclonic Extended Life Series. My guess is they are the same engine but the Cyclonic has a different (better?) air cleaner. If that is the difference, is that a difference in light (3-4 acre homeowner), non-dusty use?