Honda transmission

jj8

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a walk-behind mower.
---
I have a 3yo Honda walk-behind. After a year, the mower got harder to pull back. A few times, the wheels would lock backing up.
Last year, while still under warranty, I went to the dealer. He said they warranty is worthless. It's likely grass, under the deck. Hose it out. That wasn't the problem.
Yesterday, after 50', the mower stopped moving. The engine lugged slightly, when engaged, but it didn't move. I went back today. They said $75-100 to fix it. I expected worse, but I can live with that. But I'm not happy! This isn't a cheap mower. Our last similar Honda lasted 20 years, before I gave it away to a friend in need.
Anyone else have this problem? Did you get it fixed? I used to be a mechanic. Is it hard to fix it myself? I read a special tool was needed. Maybe not for my mower?
Thanks.
I'm not sure what is happening with the first line. It was typing over itself.

upupandaway

Threads
I have a walk-behind mower.
---
I have a 3yo Honda walk-behind. After a year, the mower got harder to pull back. A few times, the wheels would lock backing up.
Maybe not for my mower?

I've come across a few Hondas with plastic deck a few years older than yours but all 5 with the same "feature". Propel works find but wheels are locked when u try to pull back after disengage. If the wheels turn it is pretty hard to pull back without dragging tearing the grass.
Yeah, it appears to be a common "feature". My solution without bringing them in to fix is to push it forward a little bit then squeeze the handle then just let it go. This jolt seems to knock the gears out to move freely.

upupandaway

Threads
3x HRM215(sold)
1x Similar to 215 but sightly different.. don't have pic on me right now.(sold)
1x dont have # on me, steel deck(sold)

1x HRC216 not too bad right now but showing signs.(selling)

I recall all have the same variable speed not the 3 speed 1 i had before..(i forget if that released properly)