Toro Super Recycler - which engine?

deriter

Threads
I have been looking at the Toro Super Recycler and see that they have they have two engines offered. The Toro engine I believe is made in China which does not give me much comfort in their ability to build a reliable product with their lack of quality control that I have seen in stuff coming from that country. Maybe they are alright, but this is the reason for this post is to gather information. The other engine is the Honda which I have read that it is a light duty and has plastic parts. Well you can not believe everything you read on the internet but here's hoping there is someone out there that can give me sound information on these two engines. Hard to believe that Toro would put a bad engine in their product, but I would like to think that I could pick a engine that will last a good number of years. This last Toro I have is going on 30 years old and still running pretty good but is showing some age now. But it was made in the USA. Things are different these days.

I appreciate any advise on this that you may have on these two engines.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a Toro model 21381, with the Loncin engine. Except for the first year they can out, I have seen no problems with them. The 21381 has a better drive system, mulching and bagging setup, and deck than your old one and will out perform your old unit. The model 20382 with the Honda engine, although it has the same drive system, as stated is underpowered in my opinion. I just purchased one and expect it to be my last mower. Yes, I’m a Toro guy but have seen this scenario more times than I care to and to some people’s displeasure I tell it like it is. You get what you pay for and need to use it properly to get great results.

deriter

Threads
Ok Rivets, I did pick up a used Toro Super Recycler model 20384 that supposedly was not used a lot. I am 75 years old now so am figuring that this will be my last walk behind mower and that I will probably give up before it does. Does that sound about right? Not sure what the difference is between the 21381 and the 20384 is other than electric start? I did make a post asking how to find manufacture date by serial number.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct, the only difference it the electric starter. I say these units should last 20 years with proper maintenance. Hope your still using it 15 years from now, then trade it in for a rider.

deriter

Threads
Yes, now wouldn't that be quite a plan. Not sure about the personal pace system, but I suppose there is a learning cure with it and with time it will be old hat. Thanks Rivets and happy mowing to you.