Z4822 not starting after uplifting experience

vangreenacres

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
Have had a Husqvarna Z4822 zero-turn for 7 years and got the bright idea to hoist it up vertically (as in standing on the two rear wheels) from the front to remove and sharpen blades and clean under the deck. Took about 45 minutes. Set it back down and the engine began to turn over then stopped as if the battery was weak. Charged the battery and got much the same reaction. Any ideas what I may have done to cause this and how to fix the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and I noticed the crankcase oil reads zip.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's probably hydro-locked with engine oil.

Take out the spark plugs and spin it over by hand a few times. Be ready for oil to come out the spark plug holes.

Clean or replace the spark plugs.

Refill crankcase.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep what cpurvis said.
:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cpurvis has probably nailed it.
You do not damage an engine by tipping it up when it is not running.
I have a yard hoise and usually lift most mowers near vertical when working under them.

However a few precautions are necessary like removing batteries and clamping off fuel lines so they can not drain down into the engine.
Even then the oil inside the engine can drain back where it should not be & cause grief.

So do as previously advised.
Also check the oil.
If the level is higher than it should be or feels thin or smells like fuel then change it as fuel has drained into the sump and will be diluting the oil.
Also make sure that the spark plugs are well out of the way because if the cylinder is full of fuel , on a hot day you can get a really cool flame thrower when you crank the engine.

vangreenacres

Forum Newbie
Threads

Take out the spark plugs and spin it over by hand a few times. Be ready for oil to come out the spark plug holes.

Refill crankcase.

Thanks! Will do.

vangreenacres

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cpurvis has probably nailed it.
You do not damage an engine by tipping it up when it is not running.
I have a yard hoise and usually lift most mowers near vertical when working under them.

However a few precautions are necessary like removing batteries and clamping off fuel lines so they can not drain down into the engine.
Even then the oil inside the engine can drain back where it should not be & cause grief.

So do as previously advised.
Also check the oil.
If the level is higher than it should be or feels thin or smells like fuel then change it as fuel has drained into the sump and will be diluting the oil.
Also make sure that the spark plugs are well out of the way because if the cylinder is full of fuel , on a hot day you can get a really cool flame thrower when you crank the engine.

Appreciate the detail. Will follow through. The twin-V has been a reliable workhorse. Would like to keep it going for a long time. Thanks for the tips.

vangreenacres

Forum Newbie
Threads

Refill crankcase.

Reporting back to say that did it. She put out a nice smoke screen for a few minutes--the mosquitos were not too happy. Reckon I'll have to find a better way to access under the deck, but it sure worked slick hoisting it up, I thought. Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I do it 20 times a week.
Although in most cases the mower is getting a service so I can drain the oil first.
Just watch the height, record it so eventually you will know the safe lifting height.
Check your oil level it might have dropped a bit getting rid of all those mozzies.

vangreenacres

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do it 20 times a week.
Although in most cases the mower is getting a service so I can drain the oil first.
Just watch the height, record it so eventually you will know the safe lifting height.
Check your oil level it might have dropped a bit getting rid of all those mozzies.

This is a great tip, thank you. Climbing under the deck is not as much fun as it used to be when I was younger. Think I'll give your suggestion a try. Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have no trouble climbing under the decks, it is the getting back up bit that seems to get harder every year.