Mower
    Looking to Buy :)

John Deere ZTR advice.

I am in the market for a ZTR.

The leading candidate so far is the Z525E with a 54" deck. A local dealer offered me a deal on what he described as "aged stock". They have a "new" 2016 Z525E with a 54" deck. The machine is new with no hours. It just never got sold. They offered to sell it for $3750 ($250 or so less than a 2019). The warranty clock would start with my purchase.

My concerns:

- When we looked at it, it wouldn't start because the battery was dead. Ok, batteries go dead, but this machine has a three-year old battery that may not be up to snuff. I could negotiate for a new battery or a warranty deal, but a thought was planted: This machine has sat unrun for three years. Does that create issues? Do transmission and engine seals go dry or get brittle, do belts get brittle or settle into a memory bend from being held under tension in the same curve for three years?

- Is the 2016 Z525E the same as the 2019? It looks the same. But have improvements been made in the last three years? Improved mower deck? Transmission bugs removed? Improved engine?

Currently, my concerns are outweighing the offer of a $200-250 discount (which seems on the light side to me). Are my concerns justified? Is the '16 identical to the '19?

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

Paul

Mower
    Exmark Lazer Z 60, Scag SWZU wb 48, Husqvarna wb 36

Re: John Deere ZTR advice.

For a 250 difference I would go with the newer one. Battery is probably shot if it wasnít on a tender. Tires may have flat spots also.

Mower
    Toro

Bad editing on my part.
    This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.

Mower
    Toro

If he has had that unit on hand since 2016 and only giving you $250 off a 2019, he is still at the MSRP of the unit in 2016. Personally I would be running away from this dealer, something stinks. Thereís a reason it is still sitting there and you donít want to be the goat who takes it off his hands. A 3 year old, aged unit, should have a minimum discount of 15% and at that age most dealers just want them off their lot, for $150.00 over cost Ask yourself; Why has no one bought this unit the last 3 years? Is it the unit, the dealer, or the price?
    This is only my opinion, and many will say it ain't worth a darn, as I'm only a retired grease monkey instructor and not a professional mechanic. Use what I post at your own risk as you know teachers only know book knowledge.