5 hp briggs 130232 carg floods when you move it

Ronniec

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 5 hp briggs flathead 130232 runs and idles great but when you shake the motor the least little bit it floods carb and dies replaced diaphragm new needle valve and seat driving me nuts any help appreciated

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should remove the tank and carb, and go through it. There could just be a layer of water/crud in the bowl/cup on the top of the tank, under the carb.
Water will collect in the bowl and sit at the bottom, and the engine will run OK until the unit is moved or jostled, and a slug of water gets sucked into the engine. Another bad thing, is that the layer of water will rust the bottom of the cup out.

Ronniec

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for info I failed to mention I have removed tank cleaned and cleaned carb. this carb is old pull type choke when you move engine little bit the carb floods gas on top of gas tank ,have new tank to carb gasket installed too, gas seems to be pouring out around plastic pull choke and leaking on tank, will run and idle fine until you barely move engine

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like you have a warped tank. Not uncommon on those older engines. Two things I have seen done before you replace the tank. One is to add a second carb to tank gasket, this works if it is not warped to bad. Second is to seal around the edge of the carb with a fuel resistant sealer. I would only do this as a last resort before replacing the tank.

Ronniec

Forum Newbie
Threads
my issue is still the carb floods when you jostle the engine old style carb has drain hole so when it floods it leaks on tank instead of getting in the crankcase oil. new diaphragm needle valve seat and needle valve motor runs great until slightest movement then it floods and stalls

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you sure it is flooding ?
Shaking the engine could be causing the kill wire to ground so you get no spark

Remove the kill wire from the coil and try your shake test again.
Also while the blower housing is off, check the long manifold isn't loose at the cylinder.

Ronniec

Forum Newbie
Threads
yes I am sure it is flooding I have no kill switch wire installed at this time

Ronniec

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks everyone for tips finally solved problem vent in gas cap stopped up caused tank to build up pressure flooding the carb. Something that simple can drive you crazy

comfortablynumb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ronnie, You're a genius - thanks for taking the time to post the solution as I had exactly the same problem today and the fix was exactly the same. This saved loads of time and effort as I would never have dreamed of checking the filler cap holes. I always assumed that blocked holes would cause a vacuum and therefore fuel starvation, not flooding so the idea never crossed my mind. Should get a promotion from 'Newbie' status for that one.