Engine oil

Alden

Forum Newbie
Threads
Contacted Kawasaki in reference to proper oil needed in hot weather. Engineer told me the new recommendation is to use Mobil 1 15w-50 in engine for max protection. Being I already use 15w-50 in the transmissions have plenty on hand. The old spec called for 10w-30, the engineer told me they are now using 15w-50 for best performance.

L454S

Threads
Sounds like a good choice for your location. I have been using 15/40 Rotella and Mobil Delvac 15/40 in all outdoor power equipment for many years, including the V twin in the 20kw generator.

iclick

Threads
Contacted Kawasaki in reference to proper oil needed in hot weather. Engineer told me the new recommendation is to use Mobil 1 15w-50 in engine for max protection. Being I already use 15w-50 in the transmissions have plenty on hand. The old spec called for 10w-30, the engineer told me they are now using 15w-50 for best performance.

After much deliberation that's what I decided on, too. Buy a 5-qt. jug at Walmart for ~$23 and get a $12 rebate, offer good until 09/30/19 and up to four rebates (i.e. 20 qts.). Don't be discouraged when you don't see Walmart on their "Participating Dealers Include" list, as it is not exclusive. Note that some on-line purchases like Amazon don't qualify.

Mobil 1 Rebate

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a good choice for your location. I have been using 15/40 Rotella and Mobil Delvac 15/40 in all outdoor power equipment for many years, including the V twin in the 20kw generator.

Same here on the Rotella T-4, It has 1,200ppm of zinc, & ideal for solid lifter engine. Plus is JASO M, MA & MA2 approved, which meets Kawasaki ratings.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Why are they removing Zinc from the oil?
I know taryl uses that kinetix oil with Zinc....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why are they removing Zinc from the oil?
I know taryl uses that kinetix oil with Zinc....

For the same reason thy removed lead.
Zinc deposits on the catalytic converters so the after burners designed to burn the stuff you paid for but the engine can not burn is not able to burn all of the unburned fuel.

IT also escapes into the atmosphere where it is of course considered a heavy metal and therefore is THE WORK OF THE DEMON DEVIL which will cause all life on the planet to cease to exist.
The fact that 1/3 of the population is taking zinc suppliments because the use of plastic plumbing means that zinc no longer arrives via the water we drink seems to be overlooked.

iclick

Threads
That's a great deal on Mobil1!

I've been doing these rebates for several years now and keep stocked up in case they decide to stop them. I bought one jug of 15w50 and one 5w30 last April but may get another jug of 15w50 before Sept. According to Mobil 1 the oil lasts for five years in an unopened container. BTW, you can submit your rebate on-line with no need for the rebate form or mailing by scanning your receipt(s). I got mine in eight weeks, which is about the norm.

Lawn Addict
Threads

Scrubcadet10-
What Bert said.. :thumbsup:

(snip) According to Mobil 1 the oil lasts for five years in an unopened container.

You can look for the date code when it was bottled, usually found on the lower back or bottom of the jug on good oils. So you will know if you are getting fresh oil..

iclick

Threads
You can look for the date code when it was bottled, usually found on the lower back or bottom of the jug on good oils. So you will know if you are getting fresh oil..

If you buy from Walmart there's a high probability it's fresh since they turn over product so quickly. The codes for the 5-qt. jugs are etched in a blank area about 3/4 down on the back label, not printed, and are a bit hard to read. My jug of 15w50 was purchased April 2nd and the codes are "11019C21A 5885". The "110" is apparently the plant code, "19C21" indicates it was bottled on March 21, 2019 ("A" is Jan., etc., with "I" probably skipped to avoid confusion with numbers), and I don't know what the "A" represents. There is an XON bottling plant very near me so that turnaround time wouldn't be surprising. The second four-digit number may be the product code.

I only have one quart bottle of 5w30 here and it has three sets of numbers quite different from above. The first set is "10118", which is probably Oct. 1, 2018 since it was purchased on Dec. 17, 2018.