917272960 Craftsman rider New ground drive belt won't tighten I think clutch is not

cmasury

Threads
  • / 917272960 Craftsman rider New ground drive belt won't tighten I think clutch is not
fully releasing. After installing a new 84x1/2" belt on the ground drive I have too much slack in belt. I was told earlier it may have slipped a pulley

i thought it may have fell out of the eng pulley After I checked again it was in the proper pulleys properly routed. When I lift up the clutch pedal it doesn't tighten the ground belt. Does anybody know high the clutch pedal should be off the floor? I'm thinking the clutch is not fully releasing due to linkage binding up somewhere causing excessive belt slack.I was also wondering how much belt deflection should be in the belt with the park brake on Any ideas. Thanks for looking

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / 917272960 Craftsman rider New ground drive belt won't tighten I think clutch is not

cmasury

Threads
The belt I bought is similar to this one

Drive V-Belt
Ground drive
Lawn tractor ground drive belt, 1/2 x 84-1/2-in mine is 1/2 x84
$53.07
Part #532140218
?
In Stock
This part replaces #140218

cmasury

Threads
fully releasing. After installing a new 84x1/2" belt on the ground drive I have too much slack in belt. I was told earlier it may have slipped a pulley

i thought it may have fell out of the eng pulley After I checked again it was in the proper pulleys properly routed. When I lift up the clutch pedal it doesn't tighten the ground belt. Does anybody know high the clutch pedal should be off the floor? I'm thinking the clutch is not fully releasing due to linkage binding up somewhere causing excessive belt slack.I was also wondering how much belt deflection should be in the belt with the park brake on Any ideas. Thanks for looking
How do I know that the clutch is totally released

MowLife

Threads
Easiest way is to lay on the ground and work the clutch with your hand to see if the idler arm is getting full travel. With clutch released see if you can push the idler arm into the belt more. Oh and do this with mower not running.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK lets start by making sure we are all thinking about the same mower
Is this the clutch belt you have ?
https://www.partstree.com/parts/electrolux/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/hagth220b-electrolux-ayp-lawn-tractor-1999-before/ground-drive/
If so print out the diagram so we can use the numbers o identify the parts.
You might also need to chassis diagram .
Ignore that it is an Electroluxe and not a Craftsman
Both are essentially the same mower made at the same factory painted different colours for different retailers.

cmasury

Threads
OK lets start by making sure we are all thinking about the same mower
Is this the clutch belt you have ?
https://www.partstree.com/parts/electrolux/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/hagth220b-electrolux-ayp-lawn-tractor-1999-before/ground-drive/
If so print out the diagram so we can use the numbers o identify the parts.
You might also need to chassis diagram .
Ignore that it is an Electroluxe and not a Craftsman
Both are essentially the same mower made at the same factory painted different colours for different retailers.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/2jpv6eu8fe-000247 Hi Bert thanks for helping me. This is my mower above Ground belt calls for 84.5x1/2" I am using a 84X.1/2" belt

cmasury

Threads
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/2jpv6eu8fe-000247 Hi Bert thanks for helping me. This is my mower above Ground belt calls for 84.5x1/2" I am using a 84X1/2" belt
Is one of the idler pulleys supposed to pivot to tighten belt? I must have 2 or 3 inches of belt deflection with the brake off. I only see one spring on the ground drive. When I lift up the clutch cable it doesn't tighten the belt. Should it?

cmasury

Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
remove the belt and work the pedal watching how far it travels and checking it is not hanging up on anything.
Without the belt on the clutch / brake pedal should go back far enough for the spring to be slack.
Check all 6 pulleys in the system
Did you take the spring off ?
If so are you sure it went back to the same hole / pin it was on in the first place.
Is the spring still good ?
If it goes in to a hole or slot has it cut the hole bigger ?