honda hrm21 question

maxster94

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have older hrm21 push mower, I wanted to see if someone can tell me where the flywheel key is?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It sits in a slot cut into the crankshaft
When you take the retaining nut / bolt off the flywheel you will see the slot .

HurstGN

Threads
Are you sure you are qualified to work on the mower? Perhaps a visit to a dealer or other small engine repair facility may be safer and more economical.

maxster94

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I’m qualified. Mower is different than many.
Looks like flywheel is underneath. Which is strange.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The mower is the same as every Briggs on a bowl.
So the flywheel is under the blower housing which is the metal bit the pull starter sits on.
On most of them use the same 3 bolts that hold the pull starter to hold the housing on
Right under there is the flywheel, same as every engine apart from the Victa power torque engine which has the flywheel underneath the crankcase.

What you are looking at under the mower deck is the blade clutch.

You will find it very useful to go to one of the Honda parts suppliers , download the parts breakdown then print it out.

If nothing else it will show you how the engine goes together so you don't end up pounding on a part that is still bolted on or pick it up by a part that is loose and have it fall on your foot.

maxster94

Forum Newbie
Threads
this is not like every briggs as you say. this has unique honda design. Its older mid 80s.

The recoil is on the lower side of the mower as seen in pics just for starters, with diagram I found on other site shows flywheel is on bottom

Attachments

• honda pic.jpg
    honda pic.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 12
  • mowpic.jpg
    mowpic.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 10

HurstGN

Threads
A picture is worth a thousand words, and I'll bet everyone assumed you have an engine that looks somewhat similar to this
https://www.singlecylinderstore.com/image/cache/Honda%20engine/SCR_GCV190-800x800.jpg
since that's a pretty popular model of engine for a mower. That picture you posted explains a lot.
I did not mean to be condescending, but I thought you had the usual engine most are familiar with, and that was my mistake not being familiar with mowers other than what I own or have seen used in my neighborhood. Sorry.

maxster94

Forum Newbie
Threads
(HurstGN)

Ya I know that’s what everyone was thinking, I wasn’t able to get pic before I did.
I have worked on small engines for years (few mowers and am familiar with pic u posted).
I didn’t want to take anything apart if I didn’t have to or was wrong part. I am pretty sure it’s carb, I took apart and jets were in bowl when it came apart, I noticed the small o-ring on one was partially missing. So I bought new, seemed somewhat smaller but went in good. Still has same issue.
Chugs when full throttle, gas petcock wide open.
When I shut petcock off, it will run strong for few seconds just before it runs out of gas.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly , humble pie time.
Never seen nor heard of this mower engine, no service information for it either.
The flywheel looks like it is underneath as you said so the key will be there.

However it sounds like you float level is too high or the carb jets have become enlarged.
It does not sound like a timing problem.