Ran with no oil/engine seized up

DonaldJamesParker

Forum Newbie
Threads
4th use of lawn mower - and it died. Took it to shop for warranty repair and was told there was no oil in it. Could it be the oil ran out when I tipped up mower to clean bottom??
I've watched a couple of videos on Youtube where they used PB Blaster and Marvel Mystery oil (combined with Mobil synthetic oil) to unfreeze an engine. I was thinking of trying that but what are the chances there was no permanent damage done that will manifest even if I get it unfrozen and started? And would it be dangerous to use it if there is some kind of residual problem?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Chances of no permanent damage is 0% If you get it freed up it will most likely lock up again shortly. Worse case situation is the rod lets the factory smoke out of the new hole in the side of the block.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Due to transport regulations & insurance requirements most mowers ship without oil.
If you did not put any in then the only oil in there was the assembly lube.

As previously mentioned the engine will be toast.
If it is an iron bore engine then it might be rebuildable with a new piston rod & crank provided that the upper & lower bearing surfaces are not torn too badly.

So it is chalk it up to experience and get a replacement.
All vertical shaft engines are best tipped so the heads are up to avoid oil ending up where it should not be.
And when that happens you will know about it with oil & smoke everywhere.

DonaldJamesParker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Due to transport regulations & insurance requirements most mowers ship without oil.
If you did not put any in then the only oil in there was the assembly lube.

I dumped the whole bottle of oil that came with the mower. I actually checked it the day it seized up. It showed slightly low so I added some from a new bottle. I don't remember tipping it over that day. Ny wife found a black/brown circular spot in the grass where the grass had died off. She thinks it was oil that caused that. I should have taken this mower back to Lowes because it made a strange metal on metal type of sound from the very first time I used it. When grass got caught between the blade and the body of the mower, I had a heck of a time moving the blade out of the way. That seems to be abnormal to start with. I did order a replacement - a totally old fashioned hand mower so I will not be dealing with oil or gas or fumes - just sweat and a sore back.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, we now have more to work with
If you have a friendly mower mechanic, them them to look a it.
If you have a big round patch of dead grass then either the sump plug was loose or the lower oil seal was leaking.
The first is a dealer problem so Lowes owe you a new mower and the second is a factory problem so they owe you a new engine.

I am assuming that you are talking about a walk behind mower.
In this case put some more oil in it , put it up in the air and look for oil leaking out.
When a new mower comes in without oil the assumption is that the owner did not put any in.
However if you put it in and it all came out without causing your property to vanish in a pea soup fog then it had a chronic oil leak.

Usually oil leaking out from under the mower will coat the underside with a good layer of oil.
OTOH if you ran over a hose, wire or rope, these can damage the lower oil seal and the type of damage they do is obvious to the trained eye.

How much of a fuss you want to make of it is up to you.
But if the mower died on the 4th mow , and you have not abused it then it should be replaced.
Oil leaking under the mower will cause the grass clippings to bunch up and clog the discharge chute.
In a mulching mower it causes the grass to ball up and be deposited in big blobs.

Do you have any of the clogged up grass around ?
If so feel it for oilyness and take some of it with you when you take the mower back.
You can also go over Lowes head and register a complaint with the factory if it was a locally made mower.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a heck of a time moving the blade out of the way. That seems to be abnormal to start with.

I think the law requires that push mowers have a blade brake. It's released by the 'dead man' lever that you have to hold against the handlebar when mowing.

DonaldJamesParker

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you have a big round patch of dead grass then either the sump plug was loose or the lower oil seal was leaking.
The first is a dealer problem so Lowes owe you a new mower and the second is a factory problem so they owe you a new engine.

I am assuming that you are talking about a walk behind mower.
In this case put some more oil in it , put it up in the air and look for oil leaking out.
When a new mower comes in without oil the assumption is that the owner did not put any in.
However if you put it in and it all came out without causing your property to vanish in a pea soup fog then it had a chronic oil leak.

Usually oil leaking out from under the mower will coat the underside with a good layer of oil.
OTOH if you ran over a hose, wire or rope, these can damage the lower oil seal and the type of damage they do is obvious to the trained eye.

How much of a fuss you want to make of it is up to you.
But if the mower died on the 4th mow , and you have not abused it then it should be replaced.
Oil leaking under the mower will cause the grass clippings to bunch up and clog the discharge chute.
In a mulching mower it causes the grass to ball up and be deposited in big blobs.

Do you have any of the clogged up grass around ?
If so feel it for oilyness and take some of it with you when you take the mower back.
You can also go over Lowes head and register a complaint with the factory if it was a locally made mower.

First of all I had the mower for 39 days, so Lowes refuses to take action. I called Husquavarna support and talked to them. I asked to speak to a manager but got a run around. Then they told me that fuel related issues are not under warranty. I demanded to speak to a manager again - and she contacted another support team. They said that the problem was in the engine which made it a Briggs Stratton issue. So I talked to two guys at Briggs Stratton and they opened up a claim dispute. The mechanic at the shop which does warranty work for Husquavarna said there was no sign of oil leaking below. The only thing that makes sense is the oil came out when I tipped the mower on its side to clean it. Seems like some of the oil would have run down the side of the mower during that process though. I was just baffled by the whole thing. The kicker is that it made that metalic noise right out of the gate. I should have called their customer service at that point and perhaps I would have been able to take it back to Lowes for a replacement. The mower is still at the shop so I can try recreating the oil leak.

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I dumped the whole bottle of oil that came with the mower. I actually checked it the day it seized up. It showed slightly low so I added some from a new bottle. I don't remember tipping it over that day. Ny wife found a black/brown circular spot in the grass where the grass had died off. She thinks it was oil that caused that. I should have taken this mower back to Lowes because it made a strange metal on metal type of sound from the very first time I used it. When grass got caught between the blade and the body of the mower, I had a heck of a time moving the blade out of the way. That seems to be abnormal to start with. I did order a replacement - a totally old fashioned hand mower so I will not be dealing with oil or gas or fumes - just sweat and a sore back.

about how big in diameter was the circle of dead grass?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I feel you are just being given the run around in the hope you will get bored & give up.
Oil can not vanish when you tip the engine.
IT will either fill the muffler and thus smoke like crazy or fill the carb in which the air filter is generally soaked with oil and the engine won't start cause oil fouls the plug.

To do either of these the engine needs to be better than 45 deg.

If you are really mad then make a nice big sign warning would be purchasers about what can happen & how you get treated.
Keep it simple short & factual
Then take the mower & your sign and stand in front of the Lowes you bought it from.
Call the local newspaper / TV / Radio.
Get there before the store opens and make sure you are on the footpath, not the stores property.\Chances are a day or two will have you back at home with a nice new mower.

I hate to admit it but I have been forced to do similar things and a few of my customers ( previous business ) have needed to resort to these tactics.
Works even better is you can organize some friends to pretend they don't know you, walk up as if they are going to enter the shop then speak to you, shake their heads and walk away.
When a shop thinks you are causing them to loose customers they suddenly become very attentive to your problems.
If they call the police then it makes a really good David & Golliath story for the weekend news, provided President Trump has not made another klanger tweet.