need help, briggs 20hp versus 20 kohler courage

old biker

Forum Newbie
Threads
bought a 20hp IC twin to attempt replacing a Kohler courage 20hp. kohler has electric clutch, briggs does not. was told it probably will not put out enough power to run the clutch. briggs and their serv facility could not advise, other than facility said it would not even run headlights. any ideas?

NorthBama

Threads
what color is the stater plug on the Briggs or post the model and serial numbers
yellow alternator plug.PNG
green plug.PNG

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mower clutch should draw 3 to 5 amps running. A good 300 amp lawn and garden battery would run it for hours and any Briggs twin IC electric start engine should have a charging circuit of some type. Might need to manually recharge once in a while though. I'd put it together and run it for a while, see how it performs.

Tinkerer200

Threads
bought a 20hp IC twin to attempt replacing a Kohler courage 20hp. kohler has electric clutch, briggs does not. was told it probably will not put out enough power to run the clutch. briggs and their serv facility could not advise, other than facility said it would not even run headlights. any ideas?

Virtually any B&S Stator will interchange with that engine. The only other component is the flywheel with magnets. Even if the flywheel has small magnets in it, it will produce enough current to more than operate the clutch and maintain the battery. Lots of B&S engines in junk piles with Stators suitable for operating clutch and maintain battery. I probably have B&S info on stator out put and I think you can Google it.

You were consulting a dumb B&S Service Facility.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at frontier dot com

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs alternators in that size engine run 2 different systems
the cheap system has an AC & a DC output.
The AC goes to the headlights & the DC goes back to recharge the battery.

The other type use a rectifier so only supply DC which means lights if fitted are DC and wired differently

Briggs have several alternator guides on the web called
Engine alternator repower guide
and
Engine alternator replacement guide
Also
Alternator specifications

These will contain all a customer would ever need to know about alternators and also some basic wiring diagrams.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs colour code the wires & plugs which is why you were asked for the colour of the plug ( and wires ).

old biker

Forum Newbie
Threads
with the #s posted, can you advise if I should be ok with using this engine with the electric clutch off the kohler engine ? (assuming the shaft is the same diameter)

old biker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs colour code the wires & plugs which is why you were asked for the colour of the plug ( and wires ).

I will check wiring and plug colors when possible, just to get more info. working on our new house, may be a few days till I can get back to the engine. I sure do appreciate all of you for the info thus far.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What Tom said is quite true.
Unless you are mowing 20 acres or do 50 starts each time you mow, the battery will last for a full mow so at worst might need to sit on the trickle charger for a day