need help, briggs 20hp versus 20 kohler courage

NorthBama

Threads
I edited my post #2 hope it is useful information

old biker

Forum Newbie
Threads
QUOTE=bertsmobile1;338973]What Tom said is quite true.
Unless you are mowing 20 acres or do 50 starts each time you mow, the battery will last for a full mow so at worst might need to sit on the trickle charger for a day[/QUOTE]

I happen to be in my shop today, so I took a minute to look at the motor to see if the wiring/connector was visible while assembled. the harness coming from under the cover has a milky-white connector, and the wires coming to it are black and white. as they leave the plug, they change to red and white. again, I am thankful for all the response so far, much more helpful than briggs and the service shop.

old biker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I worked on mower yesterday, looking good so far, ready to tackle wiring. the briggs engine has 3 wires, from chassis, yellow, which changes to black as goes under cover-goes to the coil. red and white, goes to white connector, then comes out asred and black, & goes under flywheel.

chassis of cub cadet has a 4 wire plug which has 4 wires- red, red with white stripe,black, and yellow.

coming out of connector,there are 5 wires. red stays red, goes to carb bowl switch-n/a on briggs yellow goes to white,goes to coil black goes to green,goes to a sender,oil pressure I believe, also n/a on briggs. red w/ white stripe goes to violet, combines with orange out (no matching wire in connector) the orange and violet go to a finned aluminum unit,possibly a charging component (rectifier?), then 2 white wires come out and go under flywheel

not sure which to connect, and where. also, would it be good to install the unit I think is a rectifier, and can it even be done?

I appreciate any help anyone can give. will work on cables to get more ready to run after wiring is done. thanks in advance.

QUOTE=bertsmobile1;338973]What Tom said is quite true.
Unless you are mowing 20 acres or do 50 starts each time you mow, the battery will last for a full mow so at worst might need to sit on the trickle charger for a day

I happen to be in my shop today, so I took a minute to look at the motor to see if the wiring/connector was visible while assembled. the harness coming from under the cover has a milky-white connector, and the wires coming to it are black and white. as they leave the plug, they change to red and white. again, I am thankful for all the response so far, much more helpful than briggs and the service shop.[/QUOTE]

old biker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I GOT THE ENGINE MOUNTED, MOSTLY DONE, WIRING IS MY NEXT CHALLENGE. THE BRIGGS HAS A WHITE COIL WIRE AND 2 THAT GO UUNDER THE FLYWHEEL, I BELIEVE CONNECTING TO THE CHHARGING SYSTEM.
THE KOHLER HAS 4 AT THE CHASSIS PLUG, CHANGES TO 5 COMING OUT, RED,GOES TO GAS BOWL CUT OFF, N/A ON BRIGGS. GREEN,GOES TO OIL SENDER/CUTOFF, N/A ON BRIGGS. ORANGE AND VIOLET, GOES INTO RECTIFIER, CHANGES TO 2 WHITE,GOES UNDER FLYWHEEL. ANOTHER RED, AND A BLACK. HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHICH TO CONNECT TO THE 3 ON THE BRIGGS. SINCE THERE ARE CUT OFFS AND LIGHTS, NOT SURE IF THEY BACKTRACK AND HAVE SOME AFFECT FOR STARTING AND RUNNING EVEN THOUGH THEY WILLL NOT BE UTILIZED. ANY IDEAS?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to just determine what the wires are on the engine, and go from there. The main danger is accidently hooking the kill wire to the ignition to 12 volts, which will destroy your ignition coil. That wire needs to be hooked to the circuit that grounds when the key is turned off. The other wires are likely just the wires from your alternator under the flywheel. Take off the top cover and take some pics.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, the wires that come from under the flywheel carry an AC current, no polarity with that, hook up either way to rectifier. From that you'd need a voltmeter to check the DC polarity and hook to battery circuit. I'd assume (uh oh) that the wire from the coil is a kill circuit to shut down the motor, no current needed on that wire.

old biker

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks guys, I will be getting someone that is smarter than I am to help, really don't want to mess up something since I got this far. I appreciate the information, it is very helpful,,, moreso if you know something to begin with, I do not. maybe next week we can get it done, and done correctly. thanks again.