Husqvarna Z246 Throttle/Governor problems

ricochet1026

Forum Newbie
Threads
Newbie here. I purchased a used 2016, Husqvarna Z246, 105 hrs, B&S 23HP Ready Start Endurance motor from an estate last week. Very clean with fender abuse from someone trying to learn how to drive I guess.
While cutting under full throttle and deck clutch engaged, the motor runs great. When I disengage the clutch the engine/governor surges up then down regardless of the throttle setting.
I have put in new gas along with some SeaFoam cleaner, full tune up (plugs, air filter, fuel filter, oil change) and checked the gas cap. I have watched numerous Youtube videos on how to set the governor on a twin cylinder Briggs figuring maybe previous owner has done something. Just wanted to check to see if it was in proper position. Not sure if it was totally as I was following procedure. Throttle wide open, loosen clamp, turn shaft to the right and lock down. After that, when I started the engine, it will only run WIDE open. Figured I did it wrong and set it the other way and same result. Both times I shut it down quickly.
Any help or suggestions to get this machine running properly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MowLife

Threads
When you set the governor you hold the carbs throttle wide open. Paying attention which way the governor arm rotates. Adjust the governor by turning the shaft to its farthest point the SAME direction you observed when opening throttle.

ricochet1026

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you set the governor you hold the carbs throttle wide open. Paying attention which way the governor arm rotates. Adjust the governor by turning the shaft to its farthest point the SAME direction you observed when opening throttle.

Did that.
At rest, engine off, throttle handle set at low, the pivot/throttle arm is sitting wide open. I have to manually lift the arm to set it up against the idle screw.

So is there something else in the linkage messing with me?

MowLife

Threads
Depending on your engine the carb is set to startup at wide open Then the governor will take over when engine starts.

ricochet1026

Forum Newbie
Threads
Depending on your engine the carb is set to startup at wide open Then the governor will take over when engine starts.

OK, I get that. So if I've set the governor properly and the carb is set to start at wide open, why does it not go to idle and only runs wide open?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two reasons
1) governor is set backwards
2) governor is broken internally

ricochet1026

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two reasons
1) governor is set backwards
2) governor is broken internally

Yesterday, I had a friend over to sit on the seat and start the mower. In above post I'm told throttle wide open and turn shaft to direction of throttle movement which in my case to the right. Did that, started and it still ran wide open. So, being a little analytical, there can only be 4 settings. Throttle Down shaft right, throttle down shaft to left, throttle up shaft to left and finally throttle up shaft right. Did all four and engine ran wide open except one of the throttle UP shaft ? and it idled but would not go to full rpm. I gave the shaft position ? because I tried to further fix the issue and could not get it back.
Being that I did get it to idle once, I'm guessing inside governor is not broken. My question now is I do not know if my friend had left the actual throttle lever in a certain position to get the idle when I made the actual adjustment. So, if the setting is supposed to be throttle wide open (which is down turn to right) shaft all the way right, do I need to actually set the throttle handle to that position also? My throttle is all the way down (full throttle) when the engine is off.
Hate to keep bugging for something that seems so simple that I can't figure it out so thanks again for any help.

MowLife

Threads
You don’t want to use the throttle cable/lever to hold carb wide open. With your hands...may need 3 of them...hold the carbs throttle wide open with one hand. Use your other hand to hold the governor lever to the fullest point in the correct direction. You then loosen governor shaft and turn it in the same direction and tight it down. It may take another hand from a helper but if you use you fingers right you can do it yourself. If you can’t move the carbs throttle with its cable attached..then temporarily remove it.