STIHL FS90 (Running Problems)

Gahzula

Threads
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could spare a few moments to have a look into my situation :)

I bought a second hand FS90 and it wouldn't idle and was bogging down. So I decided to take each part off and clean everything down then reassemble. The engine seems to have a good strong compression as it takes a good pull with nice enough resistance.

I've had the whole head off the shaft, all covers off, all intake system off, fuel tank off and exhaust system off and all been cleaned where needed.

The machine didn't come with an air filter which wasn't a good sign at first.

I have now installed genuine air filter, fuel pickup filter, and a external gaskets on the intake system. And have installed the specific spark plug for this model stated on the user manual.

I cleaned the carb, metering side and fuel pump side and reassembled parts as shown in parts diagrams.

The primer bulb will not pickup any fuel, before and after cleaning the carb.

The machine will not run without the choke.

It will start first or second pull everytime with choke on.

Please anyone could advise?

Please see these 3 videos of the machine in different circumstances:

https://youtu.be/58VpDTy7Mmk

https://youtu.be/puVHQJjkgRM

https://youtu.be/YS8v3eip5xs

Many thanks,

Jay

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like you have the choke setting symbols backwards. At the end on the video, you are choking it, and it is shutting down from being "choked".

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You do need to turn up the idle speed a little.

Gahzula

Threads
Looks like you have the choke setting symbols backwards. At the end on the video, you are choking it, and it is shutting down from being "choked".

Hi Fish,

Thank you for replying to my post!

Wow I can't believe it, I thought that symbol with the line straight down meant the choke was on but obviously it means it's off!

So top position is choke on and with the knob facing the right is the choke off?

And your other comment, you mean the bottom screw? Or the high and low speed screws?

Thanks!
Jay

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a pic of the back view of the carb mount. The screw on top needs to be turned clockwise to turn up the idle speed, it takes a t-27 torx tip.
fs90.jpg

Gahzula

Threads
Here is a pic of the back view of the carb mount. The screw on top needs to be turned clockwise to turn up the idle speed, it takes a t-27 torx tip.
View attachment 44740

Brilliant! Thanks for the reply.

I will have a look at this shortly but I'm pretty sure that screw is nearly fully seated so not much movement left. I will let you know how I get on

Many thanks
Jay

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
screw 001.jpgscrew 002.jpgscrew 003.jpg

Here is some different angles of the screw.

Gahzula

Threads
Hi fish, I have fully bottomed out that screw and the machine doesn't seem to want to idle. I now have brilliant trigger response when I touch the trigger to accelerate though. Any other ideas? Not sure where to set the bottom screw on the carb

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What about this screw in the bottom of the pic??

k 001.jpg