26 HP Super Z

depues

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been having some recent issues with my super z. I think it is stemming from a short somewhere but I wanted to get some other opinions. The battery wasn't holding charge and would stall out mid-mowing and after jumping, it would run briefly and stall out again. After checking with multi meter after jumping it the voltage would slowly drop. So I did the simple fix and just bought a new battery and a voltage regulator. Installed both and ran fine for one mowing session (about 4 acres), started right up a week later when I was ready to mow again and it died out, after about 30 minutes. Nearest dealer/repair show is 1 - 1/2 away and am trying to get this solved without spend $500 and my Saturday....any thoughts? And my mower deck doesn't engage right away like it usually did...which makes me think its not getting enough power to run the deck. Safety seat sensor? I'm just trying to think of every scenario.

MowLife

Threads
Check to see if the engine is charging your battery then you can troubleshoot from there. With engine running about half throttle you should be getting close to 14v at the battery. Let us know what you get.

depues

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checking battery prior to turning key - 11.8 V
Turn key on w/o starting - 11.37 and drops
Start engine - 11.3 and slowly drops.
This is on a brand new battery - but before I switched it out, it was 11.8 before starting, and would drop to about 4(!!) just turning the key on AND after starting the engine. Whatever problem I’m having seems to be beating up the battery.

MowLife

Threads
Ok...definitely a charging problem. Can you post your model numbers so we can get an idea how it’s set up?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And in the meantime charge up the batterys.
If you do not have a charger hook them up to your car and let that engine run for 1/2 hour.

Install the charged battery but pull the wires off the rectifier.
hat way you can at least et the grass cut while you are working out what is wrong.

Assuming you bought a good rectifier, we can rule that out.
This leaves a bad stator or a wiring problem between the alternator & the battery.
Sorting that out will vary depending upon which alternator you have fitted.

depues

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model Number - 927566, S/N - 05052139 - and thanks for your help with this. Another questions, I haven’t been able to find a manual online for the engine. I have downloaded the general service manual, the owners manual and the parts manual, but haven’t found a good website to download the Kawasaki FD731V engine manual. Any suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is on the Kawasaki engine web site.
I am a Kawasaki agent in Aust so get there through the dealer net.
If you are having trouble there is generally a link from the replacement mower engine web sites.

Locate the 2 back wires coming from the alternator.
They should read 10 to 20 Ω between each other & ∞ to ground engine off if it is good.
The should read 26 to 30 V AC unpluged engine at full speed.

There is a complicated testing procdure for testing the rectifier but that is a moot point cause it is not servicable.
So check the grey wire is a good ground and the red wire for DC voltage, engine running. Should be around 13 V DC.
Check the red wire to engine ground and to battery -, both should be the same.

Let us know what you find

depues

Forum Newbie
Threads
With the engine a rest the ohms between both black wires read 0. Voltage reading between the two with the machine running was 0. I think that is pretty good evidence that my stator coil is the issue. correct?

While doing some quick digging I found what I believe to be the correct part number for that coil. 59031-2131. New parts ranging anywhere from $120-150. Does this sound accurate? I did find a used one on ebay for $50. It didn't have the part number in the description but it did have the correct engine.

Thank you again for all your help!

Sean

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before you go rushing out & spending money.
Check the stator.
It could be something as simple as a broken wire.
Like Briggs Kwakka stators are physically interchangable but come in a variety of outputs.

And yes kwakka parts are dearer than Briggs parts.
It is mainly a volume thing, not enough stuff going through the system so lots of on costs added to parts.

You are going to have to pull it apart in any case so try your luck.

And yes stator is standing against the wall with the other guilty parties.

mhavanti

Threads
Also check to make sure the voltage regulator is grounded. You may even have to run a grounding wire from the mounting screw over to the block. Also, check all other grounding points in the event you've lost ground.

Max