B&S Vanguard Synthetic 15w-50 oil

nbpt100

Threads
I have noticed in the newer Briggs Operators manual they include a Vanguard Synthetic 15w-50 motor oil option on the oil chart. It is marketed to commercial use. It claims to reduce oil consumption. I am asking because I have an older Quantum engine on a walk behind that burns a bit of oil. I have concerns of fouling the plug. Would this be better than the recommended SAE 30 oil on an engine that burns a bit more oil than normal.? I assume any 15w-50 synthetic motor oil (i.e. Mobil 1)they have at the store will be close enough and there is nothing particularly special about this Briggs Vanguard branded oil. Maybe it has a bit more zinc. Again, my interest is in addressing excessive oil consumption and somewhat concerned with potentially fouling the plug prematurely. Would it be easier to start on a colder day too? I assume so.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_us/products/other-products/vanguard-oil.html

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
15w50 is actually a thinner oil than the 30w oil you are using now. The new Vanguard 15w50 was marketed as an oil to use in higher temp areas like commercial cutters running is the southern states. Then it became the recommended oil for the large 35-40 hp Vanguard engines.

nbpt100

Threads
At start up it is thinner. It may cause smoking until it gets to operating temp. I may be better off with some kind of additive. It only smokes at a cold start up for 2 seconds. Otherwise no smoke. Thanks.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Quantum series is an aluminum bore motor, really might want to run a good 30wt with an anti-wear additive to protect what's left of the cylinder walls.

MowLife

Threads
I have a 35hp Vanguard I use commercially on my exmark. I’ve always used mobile 1 10-30 full synthetic I have never had a problem.3700 hours on it now.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
At start up it is thinner. It may cause smoking until it gets to operating temp. I may be better off with some kind of additive. It only smokes at a cold start up for 2 seconds. Otherwise no smoke. Thanks.

The Quantum series is an aluminum bore motor, really might want to run a good 30wt with an anti-wear additive to protect what's left of the cylinder walls.

https://www.propartsdirect.net/sae30-kinetix-oil.aspx
might start running this, has more Zinc (ZDDP) anti wear additive than most automotive or other oils, helps your Cam and most other "metal to metal" contact surfaces.

nbpt100

Threads
I was in the auto parts store looking at additives. STP has a ZDDP additive. There are so many additives out there. The parts counter guy recommended Lucas high mileage oil stabilizer.

I did not see any 15W-50 motor oil but I did see a 20W-50 motor oil. I bought the 20W-50. I did a test and poured out a bit of both the 20W-50 and the straight 30 weight in a clean metal dish. At 75 Degrees the 20W-50 is clearly thicker and more viscous. It sounds like a reasonable option. I believe the W number is at 32 Deg F.? S0meone Correct me If I am mistaken. That is a temp that a lawn mower will never be used in or even close. With oil additives the viscosity you end up with is so dependent on how much you add. Also, it adds another layer of complication and cost. I will use the 20W-50 alone and let you all know how it goes.

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you don't like that try Shell Rotella 15w-40 T 4, it has 1,200ppm of ZDDP (zinc) as well as other good additives..

a Gallon is like $11. around here anyhow. My Mower is happy using it..

nbpt100

Threads
If you don't like that try Shell Rotella 15w-40 T 4, it has 1,200ppm of ZDDP (zinc) as well as other good additives..

a Gallon is like $11. around here anyhow. My Mower is happy using it..

Thanks for that suggestion. I may try that. I will see if they have it in a 15w-50. I don't see a lot of benefit in a synthetic on an engine that has 50 hour oil change intervals (or less) and is used in warm weather ( > 50 F ). Unless the synthetic did not visible smoke as much as a conventional oil. Which is may or may not. I also like the Kinetix as well if they had it in similar weights. I have not seen that in any auto parts stores around here. Looks like an internet order item.

Last edited:

nbpt100

Threads
I did try the 20w-50 today and it actually smoked a lot more at start up. It does not smoke while running but at start up it was 10x worse than with the SAE 30. It must be something about the oil that creates more smoke. I may want to try a Diesel oil that is designed for less soot.