Scag Turf Tiger Ignition Module Problem

caiman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. I had an intermitent partial power loss on my Scag Turf Tiger (Model SMT-61V, serial C8601917) with the Kohler 27hp gas engine. I found out that the problem was that one cylinder was shutting down after the engine became hot, due to a faulty ignition module. My engine information is as follows:
Kohler model: CH740S
Spec. No.: CH740-0041
Serial: 3635310781
Build Date: 12/19/2006

I contacted a Scag Dealer Texas and also an Ebay seller, both agreed that the correct part ignition module for my engine was: 2458436-S. I Ordered two of them in order to install them new. The problem is that when we opened the engine, we found out that the installed modules were the 2458452 which have three wire terminals (with Black, Red and White wires attached). The new modules fit ok but they have just two terminals (one being wider than the other one) so I don't know how to adapt them. I have read that the white wire is for the safety interlock system and therefore I guess it should be connected to one of the terminals. The red wire has 12V, and the black one should be a ground. I tried connecting the red and white wires to each ignition module and also tried connecting the red wire to one terminal and the ground to the other one but the engine does not start. The fuel shuting valve solenoid emits a click sound so I guess it is opening and that the problem is that the modules are not generating a spark.

Any help will be greatly appreciated because I would preffer to adapt this modules rather that sending them back to the USA and buying the other ones. How should I connect these new modules? shouldn't the modules generate a spark when no wires are connected to them? what is the puporse of the red, white and black wires and why do the old modules need 3 connectors end the new ones just 2? What is the difference between the wider and the thiner terminal on the 2458436-S?

Thank you ver much for your help.

Luffydog

Threads
Is the new coils for the dsai conversion kit. Did it come in a box with two coils and some wires zip ties. There should be a direction paper inside to show and tell you how to hook it up to the dsai up grade kit.