Repairs PTO switch Cub Cadet 1650

BRogers03909

Threads
How do I test a 5 pin pto switch from a Cub Cadet 1650. I have a meter to do the testing.

Please reply, thank you

BRogers03909

Threads
Did I mention I have the switch removed from the tractor? On page 2-81 it looks as though you are directing me to a repair with everything still installed in the tractor.

Last edited:

BRogers03909

Threads
Update: The switch was bad and I replaced it. I do get power to the pto clutch clip, but the pto does not engage. Looking through the feeler gauge opening one side of the plate rubs tight, the other side 1/8th inch away. Is this normal and can it be adjusted out?

NorthBama

Threads
I think it should be 12 thousands. Maybe some one will correct me if I am wrong. I would check the ohm resistance also. with that much 1/8 it may have smoked the coil and taken out the pto switch also.

BRogers03909

Threads
I think it should be 12 thousands. Maybe some one will correct me if I am wrong. I would check the ohm resistance also. with that much 1/8 it may have smoked the coil and taken out the pto switch also.

Can you briefly describe to me how to check the ohms? No smoke, and did work... stopped all of a sudden. Yes I did need to replace the switch.

NorthBama

Threads
Can you briefly describe to me how to check the ohms? No smoke, and did work... stopped all of a sudden. Yes I did need to replace the switch.

the resistance reading depends on the size of the coil clutch different machine have divergent size clutches. Usually between 2.5 and 3.5 OHMS. Also the clutch voltage is critical low voltage will heat up the coil.

BRogers03909

Threads
the resistance reading depends on the size of the coil clutch different machine have divergent size clutches. Usually between 2.5 and 3.5 OHMS. Also the clutch voltage is critical low voltage will heat up the coil.

Thank you for the quick reply. My pto only as one wire so I question the results. Using the engine block for a ground I get1.6 to 1.8. While I was at I checked voltage and amperage. The voltage is 12.2 and the amperage is 5 to 5.5. I don’t smell any burnt smell, and the clutch looks brand new but I question why the plate I see when I look through the 3 adjustment windows looks warped. When I spin the pulley it ranges from almost touching to 1/8th inch gap(rough estimate looking at it). Would it be prudent to tighten the adjustment nuts all the way down then loosen then to straighten this plate? FYI, this clutch was working fine last year for quite a few mows, but when I shut down the tractor it didn’t work when I started the tractor.