Buying a spindle assembly for mtd/yardman rear discharge ride on

bigdish

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Buying a spindle assembly for mtd/yardman rear discharge ride on
I have a rear discharge yardman mower with two blades and I've stupidly stripped the thread trying to remove one of the blades. I now need to buy a replacement spindle assembly and I've found the relevant assembly drawing of the deck:
http://www.yardmanspares.co.uk/yard-man-lawn-tractors/hn-5220-k/13bf514n643-2008/mtd010033
The two spindle assemblies are there, one is labelled 1 and the parts list gives the part number as 918-04657A ... the other is labelled 2 but there is no reference in the parts list.
I'm assuming that one must be right hand thread and the other left hand thread ... but how do I know which is which so I can order the correct one? Any help appreciated.

MowLife

Threads
That link looks like they don’t sell the spindle. “1” refers to the spindle pulley. “2” refers to the spindle not available there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wrong, #1 is a full spindle assembly with pulley and is available. #2 is just a spindle assembly which is no longer available. You need to buy number 1, but do a google search with this number, 91804657A no dash and you should find it cheaper.

bigdish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wrong, #1 is a full spindle assembly with pulley and is available. #2 is just a spindle assembly which is no longer available. You need to buy number 1, but do a google search with this number, 91804657A no dash and you should find it cheaper.

Thanks for that ... there are plenty of places selling that assembly but I still don't know if I'm going to get a right hand thread or left hand thread. If the two blades turn in opposite direction, doesn't that mean the threads for the blades will be different?

MowLife

Threads
My bad on the pulley. You would think they would be different threaded spindles though like you say.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most times you are correct. Which spindle did you ruin, sitting on the seat, right or left spindle? Does the one you ruined have right or left hand blade bolt threads? Can you provide us with the units model and serial numbers? I understand you problem, but need a better picture in my mind how to answer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Spindles that rotate counter clockwise , which should be the right hand spindle on your deck usually have a left hand thread so it self tightens in use
The pulley retainers are generally std right hand threads.

bigdish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which spindle did you ruin, sitting on the seat, right or left spindle? Does the one you ruined have right or left hand blade bolt threads? Can you provide us with the units model and serial numbers? I understand you problem, but need a better picture in my mind how to answer.

I can't remember which one because it was last year and the deck was off the mower. It was my ignorance of screw threads that made me strip it but I did nothing about it until now. It's a Yardman HN 5220 K, MTD 13BF514N643 (2008) ... some progress has been made in that I've found reference to two spindle assemblies, 618-04657 and 618-0609B. The French supplier I use has both but tech details don't mention right or left screw threads. Thanks to all who have answered so far.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you look at the two spindle assemblies you posted, the 618-0609B assembly has a longer spindle shaft than the 618-04657 assembly. If I am looking at the drawings correctly the right spindle assembly (when you are looking at the rear discharge chute) is 618-04657 and the left spindle assembly is 618-0609B. If you just ruined the spindle shaft you can purchase it separately, but then I would also replace the bearings. Hope this helps.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to the parts break down both the left & right spindles use the same nut to retain the blades, 712-05134 which is 5/8 UNC, RH thread.
I will try to find a deck breakdown on a USA web site to see if the part numbers are the same.
Would not be the first time in history that an IPL has been wrong.
And it is the same nut used on the top to secure the pulley