Buying a spindle assembly for mtd/yardman rear discharge ride on

bigdish

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Buying a spindle assembly for mtd/yardman rear discharge ride on
If you look at the two spindle assemblies you posted, the 618-0609B assembly has a longer spindle shaft than the 618-04657 assembly. If I am looking at the drawings correctly the right spindle assembly (when you are looking at the rear discharge chute) is 618-04657 and the left spindle assembly is 618-0609B. If you just ruined the spindle shaft you can purchase it separately, but then I would also replace the bearings. Hope this helps.

Perfect! Thank you very much for your help in pointing me in the right direction.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I’m reading the different diagrams I see that the blade retaining nuts are the same, as Bert said, plus the pulley retaining nuts are also the same. The spindle shafts are different lengths.

bigdish

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to offer further info on this thread ... having got the MTD part numbers for the left and right blade spindles, I decided to order both just to avoid a cock-up.
So, I ordered a left spindle and a right spindle and took Rivets advice and ordered bearings for both left and right and I also ordered two new blades. The spindle part numbers were 738-1010A and 738-1128 ... the French site I found helpfully explained that one was for the right blade and the other was for the left. The order arrived today and both spindles have a right hand thread for the blade ... which is what the MTD parts breakdown suggested. One spindle is slightly longer than the other as suggested. So, if both are RH thread, surely one will be trying to undo rather than both trying to tighten. Still confused!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes the bolt will.
The question is what does the hole in the blade look like ?
On blades that have a star, square or other non round shaped hole their will be almost no forces trying to loosen the retaining bolt
If the hole os dead round the blade will be trying to turn the bolt

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And I have closed the window with the parts breakdown on it but usually a star holed blade will have a different number of fingers on the star for the right hand blade
Without checking I think the LH cut has 7 & the RH cut has 6.

bigdish

Forum Newbie
Threads
And I have closed the window with the parts breakdown on it but usually a star holed blade will have a different number of fingers on the star for the right hand blade
Without checking I think the LH cut has 7 & the RH cut has 6.

I've looked at the new spindles and both left and right have 6 fingers, everything has now arrived to change spindles, bearings and blades ... will be done tomorrow. What could go wrong?