Mower deck Lawnboy 10323 Deck help Serial 89xxxxxxxx

wheelerdan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a new memeber. this is my first post here.

I have a LB 10323 with a serial number beginning 89xxxxxxxx, so I think 1989 production? It has the 6.5 HP Duraforce engine which I have jetted to stop engine surging. The deck is steel and pretty much rusted out by poor maintenance. Besides being filthy the engine and running gear are fine. I have considered welding the steel deck and also considered fibre glass reinforcement, but prefer a good replacement part to an iffy repair. Better yet, I understand these were made also made with a cast aluminium deck. I would love to upgrade to the cast deck but would need to know which models and part numbers would fit the engine, drive, wheels and so forth from my steel 10323 model. Else I would purchase a replacement deck from some somebody. Can anybody advise me? Option 1 )a replacement steel deck for my 10323 Duraforce 6.5 LB. Options 2 which aluminum deck can be interchanged for the steel deck parts? Thank you. Dan

PS, I am headed to boy scout camp where there is iffy internet coverage. I will only see messages and be able to respond July 14 or after.

Thank you, all.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
O.E.M replacement deck Part # is 98-4472, $458 buckaroos...

viperv10

Threads
Hi, Welcome to the forum. I also have a 10323. Yours is a 1998. I believe they were made from '98 to '04. I would check on Ebay or Facebook marketplace or Craigslist in your area to check for a donor mower to get a deck. I was lucky enough to find 3 lawn boys in a storage unit for $30 that a guy wanted to get rid
of. I needed a new steel deck for a rusted out F engine lawn boy. I also have 2 other duraforce aluminum deck mowers. A 10525 and a 10547. It looks like your engine might fit on another aluminum deck if the muffler mounting plates are the same. Your muffler plate part number is the same one as my 10525 but different number than my 10547. Another thing to think about is a lot of aluminum deck duraforces is that they are 3 speed transmissions. That means you would probably have to have the handle and controls to change it over. Like scrubcadet10 said a new deck can be between $350 and $450 and that is way too much. Around here you can get a used silver series duraforce for $100 or less. I found a non runner for $40 and got running like a new one with a carb cleaning and a new cd coil. You might even be able to find a used straight push mower with no self propel. I never liked self propelled mowers until recently. I'm 65 and they come in handy on a real hot day and on some hills. I'm sure others on this forum will have some ideas too. Good luck.
Regards,
Jerry

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

I've swapped a Duraforce off a 10323 onto an aluminum deck Easy Stride (10550). The engine mounting plate is different and you also have to move the pulley on the crankshaft down to the lower position. If my memory serves me, there are two dimples in the crankshaft for the pulley set screw. I'd use Locktite on the pulley set screw.

It's a straightforeward bolt up swap, however, I can't say for certain the 10323 transmission will bolt up to the aluminum deck models, as I used the entire mower from the 10550.

FWIW, I personally don't care for 10550 drive (supposedly the faster you walk, the faster it goes, but in operation, it seems herky/jerky), I much prefer the 3 speed drive on my 10547.

Regards

Jeff

Last edited:

Mow'N Weeds

Threads
As mentioned, you'd be better off just finding another 10323 on CL or the like. Then just keep your good runner for parts. While they're no longer made, when they were made they were mass produced and there's still plenty out there. I see 'em on a regular basis for varying prices.. from $40 - $240. FWIW, the guy listing for $240 is dreaming IMO. They average in the $100-$125 range near me though usually. I believe that's about what I paid for my 10323.
As for alum vs steel, I thought the alum 21" Duraforce decks would be a good bit lighter too.. Then I picked up a 10550 (Easy Stride model) and I don't think it's all that much lighter. They're alum but they're pretty thick aluminum. I don't know the official weight on either of them though, just what they feel like in comparison when using.

Mow'N Weeds

Threads
FWIW, I personally don't care for 10550 drive (supposedly the faster you walk, the faster it goes, but in operation, it seems herky/jerky), I much prefer the 3 speed drive on my 10547.

Regards

Jeff
I thought the 10550 was THE walk behind mower I wanted. Last of the Duraforce, alum deck, Easy Stride handle, what's not to want? A couple summers ago I briefly had an '04 10655, which is a steel deck, Honda-motored unit with the intro of the Easy Stride handle on it. It was the first time I had used a mower with that handle, which Toros had already been running. I wasn't sure if I liked the Easy Stride or not, but when testing it out before buying (on flat ground), it grew on me. What I also liked was how easy starting and smooth the Honda motor was. What I *didn't* like was how heavy the pig was. It was fairly large and heavy for what it was. I wound up selling it the following summer to a family member in need of a good mower since his Toro burnt up in a garage/house fire. I missed and didn't miss the mower for the exact reasons I stated. So since then I had thought that 10550 was what I wanted to replace that, then I found mine. It's lighter than the steel 10655 beast, but I've since decided that for my particular mowing needs, I don't believe I care for the Easy Stride handle. I don't hate the mower by any means, it's a nice mower! But I have hills (hence a 2-cycle), one of which being short and steep up to a fence and I do a lot of back and fourth mowing. I don't think I care for the Easy Stride in a back and fourth type situation like that. I mean it's okay, but I think I prefer a fixed handle more for that type of mowing. Also since that's the type of mowing I do, I don't think I'd care for one w/a console like the 3-spd model. But then again I've never actually used one so I may like it for all I know. I actually have one, but it's an INOP unit I picked up and is sitting out back for whenever I wanna get to it. My 10323 just keeps performing for me how I'd like it to so that's the official 'back yard' mower. I haven't even fired up the 10550 this year yet. I think if I had a nice flat yard the 10550 would be my favorite mower to use. I'm contemplating selling the 10550 but I need to move sometime here and who knows what the next yard will be like. I may wind up regretting the sale of it for all I know, and those don't pop up for sale as often by me like a 10323 does, or even a 3-spd console model.

wheelerdan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all who responded. I embarked on a project to weld and fibre glass the damaged deck. Guess I have more time than sense. I am through removing the crud from the engine the rest of the parts. Now working on reassembly.

As I ws going through the carb, I realized the idle jet was plugged. I had previously opened up this part, but now I can not the #78 drill to even go through. I decided to buy another one but they are no longer offered for the 10323 durfarce engine. I' stuck. Need to find a jet for this engine. Any help is appreciated.