snapper rebuild

Shannon1970

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a Snapper 28"28087BE belonged to my father in law who purchased it late 80's, He used it and i know how he is with his equipment, sure he took proper care of it. He gave it to his other son-in-law 12 years ago and he used it for awhile before being transferred (military) I now have had it around 8 years, 6 of them with the engine being blown and it setting beneath trees in my back yard. I was gonna scrap it and never got around to it since I inherited a John Deere LA175 when my father passed. I had many chances to scrap but everytime it was well not this trip. Now I want a project and low and behold there was one sitting in my yard. I viewed several youtube videos from Jims fix it shop and was impressed. I went ahead and started stripping down the mower, removed blown engine, tires, dry rotted seat, etc, Cleaned it up and for the most part everything looks good. I then started the wheel hub removal and that is proving to be a real test. My real question is since this as I plan to be a longer than normal restore, should I go ahead and just rebuild everything on the rear end. I was already planning to replace the clutch/disc drive assembly and the boots. Now I wonder should I just go ahead and breakdown both chain boxes just to check the gears and chains for wear or just pull the plugs and change the lube in the cases. I look and think to myself everything looks good on the outside gaskets seam good so no leaks but they are 30 ish years old. Any opinions on this and advice for what I am about to get into. I want everything in working order before I do the re-power which If I plan this out will be just before spring 2020. Thanks for taking the time to read this longer than normal post. Look forward to any and all replies.